Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DO 2.5.1 (beta) - BUG in alarm system - Alarms not reliable

Question Is DejaOffice unable to start itself after a phone reboot for the reminders to go off

OK, thanks for your reply.
    I probably miss something about the inner workings of the Android operating system, sorry about that.

Nevertheless, let me share with you the problem I’ve faced today:

I switched off my phone in the evening, yesterday.
    Then switched back on after a few minutes.
    DejaOffice haven’t fired the notification timed for the next morning (today, 08:00), only after I had started DejaOffice at 09:10 – so it has completely missed the alarm.

Maybe DejaOffice is unable to start its necessary processes after a phone reboot to update the alarm system of Android?

Exclamation Alarm of recurring task is not dismissed when marking complete at the last occurrence

I’ve faced one more bug:
    Recurring tasks work OK until the last occurrence (when the regenerating would stop).
    Marking the task as complete dismisses the alarm and creates a new task for the next alarm.

However, at the last occurrence, when I marked the task as complete, it was marked as complete, BUT the alarm wasn’t dismissed, so it continued to buzz me with no end.
    I had to open the task list, and indeed, the bell icon for the alarm was there in the completed task – I had to open the task and dismiss the (already completed) alarm.

I'll submit this to the developer.

It helps us to test with a realistic scenario. Can you tell us what type of item you would enter as a recurring task with an end date?
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 01-04-2016 at 11:01 AM.

I entered a task item for daily repeat for 10 occurrences (or stop at a particular day – maybe it doesn’t matter).
    E.g. for taking pills each morning for a given number of days.

Lightbulb Ongoing notification or Persistent mode to prevent DejaO from being killed by Android

I have a feeling that even if firing the alarms is not exclusively handled by DejaOffice, it has a fair share in the capability of preventing an alarm failure (lack of firing an alarm at the requested time).
    Why do I think this?
    Because when I start DejaOffice explicitly by opening the app (either the main app or the Tasks list), a late (failed) notification goes off right away, giving the impression that a notification synchronization takes place right after I run DejaOffice.

If such a notification synchronization is not possible when the DejaOffice app is not running (cleared from memory), so synchronization of notifications are not maintained continuously, then it might be necessary to make DejaOffice run all the time, or at least some background service that makes sure that the notifications gets synchronized and/or go off without any issues.

There are applications for Android which are capable of making themselves “persistent” so they don’t get cleared from the memory so easily, and even then, they restart themselves.
    Examples of such apps:

• Llama
    One can set the “Notification Mode” in Llama. The developer says:
    “Ongoing notifications tell Android to avoid killing an app.”
    “Ongoing notification mode instructs Android to be a bit more friendly to the Llama service.” Or DejaOffice service in your case.

A detailed explanation from the developer:
    Why do you have to put an icon in the notification bar? Can I hide it?
    Yes you can hide it, but the icon is important to the operating system. If an application shows an ongoing notification, then the operating system is less likely to kill the application if the operating system needs memory for another application. When memory is low, 'unimportant' applications and services are killed and removed from memory before 'important' applications. The notification tells Android that Llama's background service is 'important'.
    Plus there is a “force persistent” setting (under Debug settings). Its explanation by the developer:
    Force Persistant
    On devices with a low amount of memory, Android will kill services to keep a foreground app running. Android will then restart the service when it has more free memory. When Force Persistant is enabled, Llama will try and get itself alive quicker.

• Stay Alive! Keep screen awake
    In one of its options it says: “It will still show the regular notification entry to prevent itself from being killed by Android.”

So to conclude:
    Would it be possible to have an option (a setting) in DejaOffice to switch on ‘Ongoing notification mode’ or ‘Persistent mode’, so to have an icon in the notification bar steadily?
    You wouldn’t have to force this for every user, but for those who have problems with notifications (e.g. because of low memory issues) it would be a very useful option.

Many thanks for your consideration.
    Best,
    Arpad

Exclamation problem still presents itself, from time to time, again and again

To let you know: the problem still presents itself, from time to time, again and again.
    I’ve restarted my phone yesterday.
    I remembered that there should have been some notifications – they have failed to go off.
    I’ve started DejaOffice and voilà, all of a sudden all three notifications went off at the same time, right away.

What does this means?
    This means that DejaOffice is unable to properly start itself after a phone reboot…
    Or whatever reason that you tell me about the notification system of the Android operating system.
    In the end, the user just faces the fact that he doesn’t get alarmed, the notification system is unreliable.

Question Ongoing notification or Persistent mode to prevent DejaO from being killed by Android

Would it be possible to have an option (a setting) in DejaOffice to switch on ‘Ongoing notification mode’ or ‘Persistent mode’, so to have an icon in the notification bar steadily?

I've already answered this in another post.

I haven’t been notified in 4 days. Not any notification popped up, although I have 3 daily recurring Task notifications.

Your bet?
    DejaOffice process killed by Android?
    Bingo.

Yeah, maybe I am too captious, after all, why would I expect to be reliably notified by a PIM software?

I've alreay answered this in another post.

Only one post is needed per issue. Posting multiple times just causes us to spend more time away from development answering your many complaints.