Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DO 2.5.1 (beta) - BUG in alarm system - Alarms not reliable

Angry

Grrrr, opening a task, because I thought it should be done in the next few days --> Alarm "pop up" (!) opens, telling me, I should have been reminded yesterday afternoon ...

PLEASE fix this ASAP. I'm sure, that a buggy alarm system is important enough to implement a bug fix like "show a list of pending alarms" and/or "reset alarms" (to send them to android once more, as it seems to be done when adding a new item).

Michael
    CL 6052 on Win10 & Outlook 2013 @office

DejaOffice 4.4.19 (1131)
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017, Android 8.0.0, German Language
    - Direct USB Sync (mass storage)

*bump* *bump* ... no update / bugfix / whatever since 2.5.1 ... ?!?

Do we really have to wait till February / March for a maybe-fix?

Michael

DejaOffice 4.4.19 (1131)

Exclamation Try something else

Dear Michael,

I feel your pain regarding this really old bug, and the whole buggy DejaOffice application.
    See my thoughts about DejaOffice, CompanionLink and the company/man behind it:
    http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...6730#post16730

The point is, you have to realize that CompanionLink and DejaOffice will NEVER be bug-free and you canít expect it to work reliably, not now, not any time in the future, never.

These incompetent coders canít handle the intricacies of the Android operating system, I suppose they donít really understand the Android APIs, and they are unable to construct their software to operate reliably.

The only reason Iíve chosen this product is that it is very capable Ė but unfortunately in a very buggy way.
    While MyPhoneExplorer is not as capable as CompanionLink, it works much more reliably.

One has to decide whether extensive (but buggy and unreliable) syncing capability is important or problem-free working.
    CompanionLink and DejaOffice canít offer both, and never will be able to do so, i.e. CompanionLink and DejaOffice never will be bug free.

I use CompanionLink for one way syncing, Outlook to Android, and I donít synchronize the alarms, I donít use the alarms in DejaOffice.
    That way, CompanionLink works OK.
    I have to use another app for reminders.

If anyone has some tips about an app that might handle the task of syncing Outlook and the Android device reliably, please share your experience.
    Thanks.

Best to all.

Wow. Resurrecting a 2 year old thread to continue your trolling. I stand by my reply in the other thread. The only tip I have for an app that handles syncing Outlook and Android reliably is DejaOffice. You're welcome and Happy Holidays.

I've tried many other apps, including Myphone Explorer, and none I've tried have come near the reliability of DejaOffice. I haven't tried Pocket Informant since they stopped using Google as the intermediary server (which I won't do). Maybe they would be more to your liking. They won't be bug free-- nor will any program handling this kind of complexity, but we've already done this dance.

As long as you choose to resort to character assassination ("incompetent coders") and frame the fact that a program this complex can't be bug free as a conspiracy theory, I find it hard to feel much sympathy and only feel the need to make sure newcomers to the the forum realize yours is an isolated attitude about this great program, warts and all.

You have many choices in the play store. Happy searching. Of course, maybe if you politely communicated some of the details of your problems to the support staff via the support email, you might actually get help.

Nah. They're probably too busy intentionally planting bugs in the code.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Apart from a little hiccup some time back I have found the Calendar Alarms totally reliable and depend on them to remind me of all kinds of things. In fact my wife complains that it is too reliable as I have a particularly annoying ringtone for my Alarms!!
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1131) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1131)
    WiFiSync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Just to clarify: since several month DO and CL work very well, including the alarm system.

And btw I want to say thank you to the support team, esp DJOCTO! Quick response and good work (after all), when providing them enough information. What I still have to criticize is, that DO is not being tested carefully. Some bugs would not exist, if there were sophisticated test procedures. (Eg, if it is possible to snooze alarms for weeks, multiple times, etc this has to be taken in considerstion when impelementing and testing the alarm system. ;-)

Merry Christmas to the whole DO team and everybody here, who stays at the light side of the force!

Michael

DejaOffice 4.4.19 (1131)

My developer has noted that using the Android 4.2 method for reminders is no longer reliable on 5.1 devices.

Further, the whole system of reminders is getting revised in Marshmallow. This is one of the areas where there is still considerable fragmentation between phone vendors, so a Motorola device may show an issue that doesn't exist on Samsung or Huawei.

To ring a reminder, we send the date and time to ring to the Android OS. It is the native phone OS which actually does the ring. Right now we have two different systems, our 4.2 system and our current system (call it 5.1 for now).

Unhappy Still facing notification problems

On my Sony Xperia SP running Android 4.3, the 4.1 method is not reliable (was not reliable several times).
    Then I switched to the 2.0 method that seemed to be working.
    However, 2 days before it failed to sound an alarm, or more precisely, the Snooze function and/or the automatic snooze (I mean the persistent auto repeat) function failed to repeat the notification sound when it would had to.
    So for me, none of the two available options works reliably.
    Most of the time works, sometimes not.
    In case of deficiency of a notification, it always happens after a snooze or auto repeat (persistent setting on).

The developer (or the vendor) should really the test the notifications thoroughly, something like this:
    Notification occurs Ė press Snooze Ė next time let it auto repeat (persistent setting on) a few times Ė then again press Snooze Ė again press Snooze Ė then let it auto repeat (persistent) etc.

I have to add that that the alarm application that I use (nor the built-in nor an installed one) have never failed to sound any alarms (notifications), never, ever.

Anyway, I dared to resurrect this old thread firstly because I thought that Michaelís constant complaining was perfectly depicting both the characteristic of DejaOffice (i.e. constantly buggy for extended periods of time) and the inability or unwillingness of the software vendor to fix these errors in a timely manner;
    secondly because I STILL face problems with the notifications in DejaOffice, see above.

One can interpret Michaelís wording Ė good work (after all) Ė as not good enough. Itís not just semantics. If the vendor leaves unfixed bugs in the software for months, even if those bugs are reported frequently by many users, and then some day corrects it (months later), itís just a bit better than leaving it unfixed for good.
    This negative opinion also can be seen in the (proportionally) very many 3 and 2 star ratings in the Google Play store, not to mention the 1 star ratings (I know that some of them are related to improper usage, hence data duplication, but that could be eliminated with a comparison window where one would have to explicitly choose OK or Cancel BEFORE applying a change that would alter/create/delete more than a set percent of all the records).

Having said all of this I acknowledge the unrivalled capability of DejaOffice and the vast work behind it, I say thank you to the developer and the vendor and ask them to forgive that I may continue to look at the weaknesses of DejaOffice in a fairly critical manner.

Lightbulb Ideas for improvement (testing procedures)

Ideally, there would be tests against the following things, i.e. try whether a notification failure occurs in case of
    a) after pressing the snooze button
    b) not pressing the snooze button, but waiting for auto repeat (persistent) to occur

Both a) and b) should be tested in the following scenarios:
    • The phone had been restarted after a/b
    • The phone was turned off while there would be a notification after a/b; the user turns the phone back on; DejaOffice should fire the notifications (snoozed notification or auto-snoozed/persistent notification, just as Outlook does on the desktop)
    • DejaOffice is terminated by the user by swiping it from the application list
    • DejaOffice is terminated by the user by pressing ĎForce stopí under Settings \ Applications \ App info
    • DejaOffice is terminated by the Android operating system because of other applications and processes, hence there is not enough memory and Android closes DejaOffice
    • DejaOffice is updated automatically by Android (during while there would be a notification after a/b)
    • DejaOffice is updated by the user manually via opening Google Play and updating the app (during while there would be a notification after a/b)
    • Changing DejaOffice alarm (or any other) settings

You should make sure that the snoozed or auto-snoozed/persistent notification has been retained in all of the above scenarios and that they actually goes off in every case.

Arpad, let me ship you about 85 Android phones to run the test on. Keep in mind that even the same model phone Samsung Galaxy S6, will run differently from Verizon than from T-Mobile.

Next, please test with every Android OS version. 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1 and all sub releases, on every phone.

Finally, if you find a problem, go tell Google. They designed the notification system. All we do in DejaOffice is post the notification to the phone OS. So the "Ring" in the alarm is not a DejaOffice process. Once it rings, and the callback pops our window, that part is DejaOffice again. Until the window pops, it's all Android OS 100%.