+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feature Request: Option to "MARK" items as deleted instead of deleting them

Lightbulb Feature Request: Option to "MARK" items as deleted instead of deleting them

Hallo,

as I wrote several times, DO/CL lacks a conflict management for the sync process

http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...3371#post13371

Yesterday happened the following:

1.) Sync with PC@WORK.
    2.) Go home ;-)
    3.) Set "reread android data" on PC@HOME.
    4.) Sync
    5.) Message "you deleted 34 items on android, do you want do delete them in Outook"?

Because my last sync @home was a few days ago and I changed/moved/re-created some calendar items, it might be ok to delete some items AND recreate some new.

6.) I said "yes"
    7.) ~ 10 appointments were lost on the phone. :-(((

I could get them back out of the trash in Outlook, but what would have happened, if only 2 or 3 appointments (!!!) had been deleted? Would have been there any message by CL???

So until there's no conflict management window, I'd suggest to "mark" items as deleted but not to delete them, if the user wants to.

Eg: "Meet Thomas" --> "XXX Meet Thomas"

Simply add some characters to the subject, instead of deleting them.

*** I prefer to have some obviously marked items too much in my calendar, than to loose one appointment! ***

There could be a general setting: "Mark items with 'XXX' instead of deleting them".

If an item was deleted in Outlook or DO, CL will "recreate" it on this side, but marked.

The solution to really delete an item could be, to set category to "to be deleted" and the next sync process will really purge this item on both sides. Therefore this item is changed in Outlook and CL could rely on the "update time stamp" ...

(This feature should be integrated in DO, too. So the GUI in DO does still show "delete" but the item is marked and category set to "to be deleted" ... such items could be shown with a cross-out line)

Anybody else who would like such a feature?

Michael
    CL 6049.44 on Win10 & Outlook 2013 @office

DejaOffice 4.4.7 (1069)
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017, Android 7.0, German Language
    - Direct USB Sync (mass storage)

Quote Originally Posted by MG111 View Post
    *** I prefer to have some obviously marked items too much in my calendar, than to loose one appointment! ***
    I completely agree! My calendar contains very important work appointments and I can't afford to have appointments getting deleted by sync processes! Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by MG111 View Post
    There could be a general setting: "Mark items with 'XXX' instead of deleting them".
    The solution to really delete an item could be, to set category to "to be deleted" and the next sync process will really purge this item on both sides. Therefore this item is changed in Outlook and CL could rely on the "update time stamp" ...

(This feature should be integrated in DO, too. So the GUI in DO does still show "delete" but the item is marked and category set to "to be deleted" ... such items could be shown with a cross-out line)
    I think you have some great, creative ideas here! It'd probably be good to make these settings fairly customizable so that they can be adaptable to the most users. For example, if the user enables "Mark items with 'XXX' instead of deleting them", then there could also be the option to customize the "XXX". Some people (possibly including myself) may wish to just use categories instead of the "Mark with XXX", and so having the option to specify a "Deleted From Outlook" category to be used would be great. Since categories can be color coded this could make it possible to quickly visually identify appointments to possibly be manually deleted (or to be kept, and to thus have the "Deleted From Outlook" category manually removed).

I just noticed that you are using Direct Sync. I'm guessing that some of these sync conflicts are less likely if one is using DejaCloud? Is that correct?

Regardless, you have some good ideas!

Hm, no statement from DO team?

Not even regarding http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...3371#post13371 ?

:-(
    CL 6049.44 on Win10 & Outlook 2013 @office

DejaOffice 4.4.7 (1069)
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017, Android 7.0, German Language
    - Direct USB Sync (mass storage)

It’s a shame that CompanionLink doesn’t address this problem.
    The above is a very clear, well written suggestion/solution for a real problem, a very serious problem, but CompanionLink doesn’t give a shit about it.
    This behavior, this kind of negligence is unacceptable, very unprofessional and unethical.

Shame on you CompanionLink.

Exclamation Comparison / differences window for conflict resolution - data collision warning

I introduce my idea here:
    dejaoffice.com/forums/showthread.php?3794-Comparison-differences-window-for-conflict-resolution-data-collision-warning

Root cause seems to be a problem in syncing, why did it delete 10 appointments in the first place?

A conflict window wouldn't fix this, as this is not seen as a conflict. CL simply deletes an appointment because it believes it should. I've never used usb-sync but clearly it's doing something wrong when an old situation (@home) overrules a recent (@work) sync.

I would want 'marked' items myself, a 'recycle bin' might be useful on handheld. Eventually those marked items have to be deleted after all.
    -Frans

Samsung Galaxy s7, stock rom 8,0, not-rooted
    DJO 4.4.5 (1069) , CompanionLink 8018
    Outlook 2016 (32bit), sync via DejaCloud (native sync Contacts only)

+ Reply to Thread