Thread: Enhancement: Option to Display Additional Commands in the Header

Lightbulb Enhancement: Option to Display Additional Commands in the Header

I appreciate the ways that DJO makes efficient use of space, which is particularly helpful for smaller screens. However, when one has a larger screen it would be nice if there were an option to choose display some of the commands that are only available via the Settings modal. For example, in the Calendar, in addition to the Search, Add Event and Settings icons, I'd like to also be able to display the Today icon (for quickly going to Today) and maybe also the Go To Date icon.

Also, if you implement the use of user defined Category filters as described in another post (http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...-in-Deja-Today) I'd want the option to display the icon associated with the filter dialog/modal so that I could quickly pull that up to apply a temporary filter. Perhaps along with this it might be useful to have the option of displaying an icon to clear the filter as well (this icon would only display if a filter was applied).

With all of these I'm thinking it is best to allow the user to choose on a per-command/per-icon basis what they want to display in the app header, as each person will have their own priorities. I think this kind of customization could be very useful and powerful--it would be akin to being able to customize one's toolbars in Windows applications.

Thanks for your consideration!
    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

Great idea. I'll get it on the list. We'll probably see this in a month or two...

Awesome! Glad you like the ideas, and even more glad to hear they're going on the list!

Here's a few more for you, in a similar vein...

In the Calendar I'd also like to be able to customize the icons that are displayed in the Footer row:

1) I'd like to be able to add custom views. For example, it would be nice to have multiple versions of the Day view and multiple versions of the Week view. In my case I might have one Day view that displays 1 day and another Day view that displays 2 days. Similarly I might have one Week view that displays 5 days and another Week view that displays 7 days. I'd also like to have a Year view that displays just 6 months, in addition to the Year view that displays 12 months.

2) Since doing the above will make the Footer cramped on some devices it would also be handy to be able to customize which icons are displayed and which are relegated to a More menu of some sort (this would need it's own icon, and would logically be positioned to the far right). This would also be useful for just displaying the icons one wants to focus on, while still having quick access to the others for less frequent use.

Since there are so many different combinations of things that users may wish to add to the Header and Footer toolbars (and I haven't even thought about how some of the above might apply to things like Tasks and Contacts) it would probably be worthwhile in the long run if you all developed a system for users being able to create/add buttons for most (if not all) functions/commands/views. The underlying software would need to have some awareness of what commands should be made available for adding, based on where the user is working (eg, Tasks vs Calendar) so that users can't call commands which won't work in the current context.

It would also be very useful if the mechanism for choosing a command to add to the Header or Footer also gave the user access to most (if not all) icons used by DJO so that they can try to pick something appropriate. Inevitably users will want the option of creating and adding their own custom icons as well, so that would be pertinent to add to the roadmap (but not necessary starting out).

If there is some mechanism for adding a text overlay to a chosen icon that would be very versatile because then a user could use the same icon for multiple things, but just add a few characters to distinguish commands from other similar commands. An obvious example would be using the Week icon with an added text overlay of "5" (for the 5 day view) and then another Week icon with a text overlay of "7" (for the 7 day view). Of course on small devices more than one or two characters will become unreadable, but that is up to the user to sort out (ie, to come up with what will help them distinguish between commands). The upside of the text overlay functionality is it would help mitigate (somewhat) the never-ending requests for new icons that you'll likely get once you enable the adding of commands to the Header and Footer since users will at least be able to customize slightly existing icons.

Great idea! I'll talk about it with the developers. We have a lot on our plate right now, but I'll keep this on the list.

Cool! I'm glad you like it and that it's going on the list! And I totally understand needing to prioritize things.