+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time zone issues - searching shows wrong timezone info

Time zone issues - searching shows wrong timezone info

I just discovered that if I am in one timezone, but search for events with the Calendar search feature, the events that show up that match are all shown in the current timezone and not in the event's timezone. eg:

1. Create an event in GMT at 12:00

2. Change current timezone of device to GMT+1 (this happens automatically if the phone is set to change time and timezone from carrier)

3. Search for event created in step #1, and it shows the time as 11:00 (because it's relative to local timezone).

However, if you see the event in the calendar, it shows its time in its timezone.

If the calendar itself shows each event in its own timezone's time, shouldn't searching also show each event in its timezone's time? This is disturbing.

---

Another issue is events that span timezones (eg. plane leaves LHR at 12:00 on Monday and gets to LAX at 10:00 on Monday, so "earlier on the same day"). Of course, DejaOffice doesn't like this.

I'm sure the official way to deal with this is to create two events, one per timezone. It would be nice if start/end times for events contained timezone information per date/time, not just for the whole event. Is this something that is planned?

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

Tim, I'm thinking it is just an oversight on the calendar that it is not updating the display time to current time zone. That's easy.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix for negative time displacements due to local time settings. I'll think about this. Your workaround is good, and also you can add the local time zone for:

Board Flight LHR 12m on Monday
    Flight Lands LAX 10:am on Monday

I'm not sure if there is a good way to accomodate entering this as a single event without confusing and dismaying a large number of other people trying to put in regular calendar events. It's always a challenge to keep the UI simple.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Tim, I'm thinking it is just an oversight on the calendar that it is not updating the display time to current time zone. That's easy.
    Well, I like the way the calendar works (showing the times in their actual timezone). I don't have "timezone shift enabled", which is why I assumed it worked that way. The option of seeing events all in their actual timezone OR in the current timezone is the best solution (which is what I think DejaOffice currently has, correct?). I just would prefer the search results time/timezone to match what is seen in the calendar for the same event.

I'm not sure if there is an easy fix for negative time displacements due to local time settings. I'll think about this. Your workaround is good, and also you can add the local time zone for:

Board Flight LHR 12m on Monday
    Flight Lands LAX 10:am on Monday

I'm not sure if there is a good way to accomodate entering this as a single event without confusing and dismaying a large number of other people trying to put in regular calendar events. It's always a challenge to keep the UI simple.
    Yeah, I don't think there's any calendaring app that takes care of this - it would be something I would understand and love, but I can also understand how it might confuse a lot of people. I would suppose all your time values are stored as UTC, so the actual data and its displayed values are separate and couldn't get corrupted, yes?

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

All Android time values are relative to UTC. If you recall in early versions of DejaOffice we had some issues with time translation.

What I TOLD the developer was to store times only in "user local time" and translate to UTC when needed. The original designer did not pay attention to me. Apparently a geek with new ideas takes precedence over one with 25 years of experience. Sigh.

+ Reply to Thread