Thread: sync calendar with native android calendar app

sync calendar with native android calendar app

When I want to set my calendar for syncing with Androids native calendar there's a message "not recommended ...". As I remember there was some bugs having this enabled in past leading between others to a full new sync with outlook. I don't like unstable syncing effects.

But on the other hand it's very useful to have the android calendar filled: better calendar design (S-Planner), calendar items on lock screen, the device reads appointments, Google Now to make new appointments etc.

So I ask:
    1. Is it still true that a sync with the native android calendar is not very reliable. Any improvements in the past month?
    2. Is it possible to have at least a reliable one-way-sync meaning to have all appointments in the android calendar not being able to edit them.
    3. Is it possible to have a direct access from my S-Planner to the DO-calendar without any special syncing (accessing the account "DejaOffice")?

Greetings, Halweg
    Samsung Galaxy Note IV, Android 6.01, Outlook 2010 German, Windows 7,WiFi sync

Greetings halweg,

> 1. Is it still true that a sync with the native android calendar is not very reliable. Any improvements in the past month?

The key issue is that the native Android Calendar cannot handle some repeating patterns that are common in Outlook. All single events sync fine. Most forms of All-Day events and Multi-day events work fine.
    Repeating patterns that are "simple" work fine. Repeating patterns based on "Weekday only" get somewhat mashed. Repeating patterns where there are "Instances", i.e. Change this instance, will get mashed a lot worse.

This is all old stuff. It has to do with the inner architecture of the native calendar. Android simply lacks the advanced recurring instance features that Outlook and most PC Applications have. Keep in mind that Android is designed to sync to Google Calendar, which also has primitive forms of recurring appointments. It has not changed since Froyo days or even before (Android 1.6)

Sync -To- the native calendar works ok. At worst, some of your repeating event patterns will not show right.

> 2. Is it possible to have at least a reliable one-way-sync meaning to have all appointments in the android calendar not being able to edit them.

Yes. However, even if you don't edit it, if any repeating event, that has "Instances" is "changed" by the system, then if it sync's back it will mangle it in Outlook. The most common circumstance is that the event just disappears on all days after the "change" date. An alarm going off, and getting dismissed, is considered a "change" to a record because the alarm ring status has changed.

3. Is it possible to have a direct access from my S-Planner to the DO-calendar without any special syncing (accessing the account "DejaOffice")?

Let me look at what we can do for S-Planner compatibility. Is there a specific S-Planner feature that you are seeking?

As far as I know, S-Planner is unique to Samsung phones. So it is not "Android" as much as a Samsung feature. We are putting Samsung specific features into DejaOffice, so if you want we can look at S-Planner specifically.
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 08-30-2013 at 09:04 AM.

I think I understood. Thank you for the fast answer.

1. I really have recurring appointments and I really sometimes delete single instances from them. So this problem considers me.

2. What I mean is an one way sync without any back sync to DO. This way it's equal what S-Planner does understand and how it handles recurring items.
    Just a copy of all current items to S-Planner what is just a special add-on to the Android calendar. For updating just delete all items and copy them again from DO.

3. At first I'd like to have DO-items visible when I activate DO account from S-Planner.
    If speaking about features - most of S-Planner features are linked to the better system integration of the native calendar. Additionally there are formatted notes beside S-Planner items where I can include sounds and photos (S Notes). Since this is possible in Outlook too the weak link is DejaOffice itself. I still wait for a software developer that makes S-Notes convertible to something editable on my desktop; before they are not usable at all.

Halweg, we are working right now on Samsung specific compatibility features. I'll see what we can do with S-Planner, and check the recurring stuff. It may well be that they have a more robust format for them than Google uses. I like the Voice Note and Photo feature. I'll see what we can do there also.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Halweg, we are working right now on Samsung specific compatibility features. I'll see what we can do with S-Planner, and check the recurring stuff. It may well be that they have a more robust format for them than Google uses. I like the Voice Note and Photo feature. I'll see what we can do there also.
    /rob perks his ears up

Samsung-specific features? really? like S-Voice and S-Beam integration? Want a beta-tester? How about an alpha-tester? How about a pre-alpha-tester?

Eager? Who, me?

:-)
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

Hmmm, yes. Ok. We are not -quite- working on that project for Android. However, I "hear" some pretty interesting things from my iPhone team. Look for Voice integration into DJOA and DJOI in the fall.

It seems to me this syncing and integrating becomes to big for a soon solution. Do you really want a sync of sounds between Outlook and DJO
    I would be happy if I had a sync of RTF-formatted notes beside tasks and calendar entries.

I still miss an information about the one-way-sync with the build-in calendar: is this possible or not?

Take your time - get it right

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Hmmm, yes. Ok. We are not -quite- working on that project for Android. However, I "hear" some pretty interesting things from my iPhone team. Look for Voice integration into DJOA and DJOI in the fall.
    All over-eager kidding aside, I do look forward to it. However, I can wait - I'd rather see it be well-thought-out and well-implemented (even if it takes longer than you say) than rushed out because some guy on the forum (<blush/>) couldn't keep a lid on his excitement.
    Rob Freundlich

Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Android 4.1.2/Kernel Version 3.0.31-1098177
    DJO Version 2.5.4 (500)
    CL Version 5070
    Palm Desktop Version 4.1/Windows 7 64-bit
    Local WiFi Sync

Quote Originally Posted by halweg View Post
    I would be happy if I had a sync of RTF-formatted notes beside tasks and calendar entries.
    Yes, please!!!

Michael
    CL 6049.44 on Win10 & Outlook 2013 @office

DejaOffice 4.4.7 (1069)
    Samsung Galaxy A3 2017, Android 7.0, German Language
    - Direct USB Sync (mass storage)