+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Enhancement: Ability to Postpone Tasks

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Enhancement: Ability to Postpone Tasks

    I also use Todoist for certain tasks and one of the things I appreciate about their interface is that it is easy to Postpone a Task until tomorrow. I'd love to see this in DJO. I'm envisioning two variations, both of which would be available via the modal that appears with a long-press on a Task:

    1) Postpone Until Tomorrow.

    2) Postpone Until...: This one would bring up a date picker allowing the user to choose a date to postpone the Task until. An added bonus would be if there were a setting that could be configured to set the default behavior for this date picker (eg, configure it to default to a date 2 days from now).

    Currently one has to edit a Task in order to change the date, which involves several more steps.

    Along with the above it would be equally useful if when in the Tasks module it were possible to switch to a "Change Date" mode that would enable the user to tap-and-drag a given Task to a new Date (this is in the view were Tasks are grouped by Date). Again, check out the Todoist app for inspiration--they make it super easy to drag a Task to another date. For this to work well a subheader for each future date will need to be displayed, even if there is currently no Tasks for that Date (this is what Todoist does). But that then makes it super easy to change the due Date for Tasks. It'd probably be good to have a setting to configure how many future Dates to display (since having too many would be cumbersome for users that don't want to go very far into the future).

    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

  2. #2
    If you tap on the right part of the task list (where the due date and status is displayed) you get a pop up menu to directly modify the status and due date. The "Change due date" option directly opens the date picker.
    I assume this "hidden feature" is very close to your second variant.

    Regards
    Malte
    DejaOffice 3.1.2 (631) on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, Android 4.4.4 German ---
    MS Outlook 2010 German on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ---
    CompanionLink: 6012 - DejaConnectUSB (ADB Mode) ---
    Sync with Android contacts: DejaOffice-Account - No Sync with Android calendar

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mvscheven View Post
    If you tap on the right part of the task list (where the due date and status is displayed) you get a pop up menu to directly modify the status and due date. The "Change due date" option directly opens the date picker.
    Fantastic! I had no idea that was there (obviously)! Thank you for sharing!

    So building on the existing functionality I'd suggest adding to the list of options "Postpone Until Tomorrow". Even better would be the ability to define multiple custom Postpone buttons based on whatever time criteria the user configured in Settings. For example, perhaps my most common Postpone times are either "Postpone Until Tomorrow" or "Postpone Until 1 Week from Now". So the ability to create custom Postpone's (eg, X days, X Weeks, X Months) and have those translated into a decently human readable button that gets added to the list of options when tapping on the Date/Priority button on a Task.

    I also still think that my drag-n-drop reordering of Tasks like I described above would be very useful too. But if we could start with just enhancing what already exists in a manner similar to the above that would be pretty sweet!

    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mvscheven View Post
    If you tap on the right part of the task list (where the due date and status is displayed) you get a pop up menu to directly modify the status and due date. The "Change due date" option directly opens the date picker.
    I just discovered that this does not work in DejaToday, so I'd like to request for that to be added at some point.
    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

  5. #5
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,210
    It's on the list!

  6. #6

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    It's on the list!
    I love reading those words!

    And just to clarify, which of the following have been added to "the list" (hopefully all of them!)?

    A:
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWhatWhen View Post
    I just discovered that this [tapping on the right part of the task list] does not work in DejaToday, so I'd like to request for that to be added at some point.
    B:
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWhatWhen View Post
    ... So building on the existing functionality I'd suggest adding to the list of options "Postpone Until Tomorrow". Even better would be the ability to define multiple custom Postpone buttons based on whatever time criteria the user configured in Settings. For example, perhaps my most common Postpone times are either "Postpone Until Tomorrow" or "Postpone Until 1 Week from Now". So the ability to create custom Postpone's (eg, X days, X Weeks, X Months) and have those translated into a decently human readable button that gets added to the list of options when tapping on the Date/Priority button on a Task.
    C:
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWhatWhen View Post
    ... Along with the above it would be equally useful if when in the Tasks module it were possible to switch to a "Change Date" mode that would enable the user to tap-and-drag a given Task to a new Date (this is in the view were Tasks are grouped by Date). Again, check out the Todoist app for inspiration--they make it super easy to drag a Task to another date. For this to work well a subheader for each future date will need to be displayed, even if there is currently no Tasks for that Date (this is what Todoist does). But that then makes it super easy to change the due Date for Tasks. It'd probably be good to have a setting to configure how many future Dates to display (since having too many would be cumbersome for users that don't want to go very far into the future).
    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts