Thread: CompaniionLink / Samsung Kies / Palm Desktop Compatibility on Galaxy S2

CompaniionLink / Samsung Kies / Palm Desktop Compatibility on Galaxy S2

Is there a basic compatibility problem between CompanionLink and Samsung Kies in Windows 7 using the USB cable? I use Kies only to access my phone as a hard drive to transfer files to my PC. But if I do that, then the CompanionLink sync will not work the next time. Usually it says it can't find the android. Sometimes it says it found it, but can't connect. Sometimes I can get CompanionLink working again by killing Kies in TaskManager. Sometimes rebooting the computer will fix it. But sometimes the only solution is to do a complete powerdown of the phone. The last time I did that, CompanionLink took about ten minutes to totally download the whole Palm desktop from scratch.

Other than that, companion link also does not reliably sync with changes I have made in the Palm desktop. Unless I set it to re-read the Palm desktop on the next sync, the syncing will usually shot down as if it does not detect any changes. It does seem to detect changes I made on the phone in DejaOffice.

I am using CompanionLink 5.0 Build 5058 and Palm OS 6.2. If I were still using this in a work environment I think I would have given up by now and gone to another product. But I still find that the Palm desktop is the simplest and most reliable PDA. DejaOffice also works fine. It's just the syncing that is such a pain.

I never had this sort of problem with Palm devices for the many years I have used them. In fact, my old Treo still syncs reliably when I just press the sync button on the old phone.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this sync problem?
    Last edited by farmercharlie; 06-15-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    Windows 7 64 bit, Palm 6.2.2 OS with Aceeca 64 bit drivers, Galaxy S2, DejaOffice 2.4.4(449), CompanionLink 5 Build 5058

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems.

Just change your sync method. I'm guessing your are using DejaConnect USB. This uses the same driver as Kies.

Just switch to Direct USB in CompanionLink and in DejaOffice. This will connect using the Media mode capability on the device. In this mode, there is no dependency on the Kies driver. DejaCloud is also a great way to sync.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post

Just change your sync method. I'm guessing your are using DejaConnect USB. This uses the same driver as Kies.

Just switch to Direct USB in CompanionLink and in DejaOffice. This will connect using the Media mode capability on the device. In this mode, there is no dependency on the Kies driver. DejaCloud is also a great way to sync.
    Thanks. You are right; I was set for DejaConnect USB. I tried your suggestion, and I think it worked. I'll try to remember to post an update after I try it a while.
    Windows 7 64 bit, Palm 6.2.2 OS with Aceeca 64 bit drivers, Galaxy S2, DejaOffice 2.4.4(449), CompanionLink 5 Build 5058

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post

Just switch to Direct USB in CompanionLink and in DejaOffice.
    I have been using this sync method for about a week now, and it seems to have solved the problem. CompanionLink and Samsung Kies are now working fine together.

Thanks,
    Charles