+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Palm Desktop 4.2 with Windows 7???

Palm Desktop 4.2 with Windows 7???

I'm currently using CompanionLink to sync my Galaxy S3 phone to my Palm Desktop (4.2) on my XP computer. Everything works great and I couldn't be happier. HOWEVER, I'm getting ready to get a new computer that runs Windows 7 (64 bit). I'm concerned that Palm Desktop 4.2 won't run on Win7. I'm also concerned about transferring the data from my GS3 to another version of Palm Desktop i.e. 6.2. Does anyone know if Palm 4.2 is compatible with Win7? If not, which version should I install?

Thanks-Vince

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3
    DJ Version: 2.5.5
    Companion Link: 5.0 Build 5052
    Sync with: Palm Desktop 4.2
    Android OS: Jelly Bean 4.1.1

I used to use Palm desktop 6.2 to sync my Treo to Act 6.0 using Companionlink without any problems. It would worth trying 6.2 if it runs okay on W7.

I had no problems when I changed from Desktop 4.2 to 6.2. Don't be afraid to try it, just backup your data first.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Cecil, was that with 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7? I haven't used Palm Desktop since 2009, but my understanding is that, in most cases, you need to get the 64 bit drivers from Aceeca to sync with Palm Desktop on 64 bit Windows.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Hook still on XP and not used Palm for couple of years now so bit out of touch but my info was that if you can make it work on windows 7 then changing to 6.2 was not a barrier.

VWalk seemed to be concerned about changing from Desktop 4.2 to 6.2 and I merely sought to reassure him that this should not be a problem if 6.2 can be made to work on W7.

Looking to upgrade my computer soon and it looks like I will have to ditch a lot programs I have used for years; Outlook and Office 2000 for a start. The upgrade options are too expensive for the amount of time I use Office now. I certainly do not want to go down the 365 route. I am out in the sticks and my internet speed is poor, at peak times very poor!!
    Last edited by Cecil; 10-08-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: extra info
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Libre Office is a very respectable replacement for Office, for free. No Outlook, of course, but I thought you used ACT!

I keep Office up to date because it is a perk from work. I'd hate to have to pay for it myself. I'd have a hard time giving up Outlook at this point having used it since 1997 and Schedule+ before that.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

I use palm desktop 6.2.2 on w7 x64 and work ok. Like you say the problem is the drivers to connect your Palm, that officially don't exist for x64. I don't use my Palm anymore... but if I remember right if you sync palm with bluetooth it work ok.
    now Samsung Galaxy S7, Android v7.0, DejaOffice (last)
    was Samsung Galaxy S2, Android v4.1.2, DejaOffice v3.2.15 (780)

Quote Originally Posted by damjang View Post
    I use palm desktop 6.2.2 on w7 x64 and work ok. Like you say the problem is the drivers to connect your Palm, that officially don't exist for x64. I don't use my Palm anymore... but if I remember right if you sync palm with bluetooth it work ok.
    Doh! Now I just feel foolish. Of course, we *aren't* talking about syncing with PALM. The Companion Link program is doing all the work. That's what I get for posting when I'm doing about 6 other things.

I also use Palm Desktop 6.2 on a 64 bit system. I've used PDT 4.x on this system, and I like it better because it handles tasks a bit better.

Hotsync will not work. Somehow it is not compatible with the USB drivers. But Palm Desktop itself appears to run fine on all versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

http://www.companionlink.com/support..._and_Windows_8

I also have used Palm Desktop 6.2.2 on a Windows 7 64bit system. As has been said, you won't be able to Hotsync via USB, but I have successfully been Hotsyncing via Bluetooth for the past several years. Your Palm has to have Bluetooth, and of course your PC will need to as well. It did take some wrangling to get set up correctly, but once I had everything sorted it worked great. I've now (finally) retired my old Palm T3 and am using Android devices in conjunction with CompanionLink, DejaOffice and DejaCloud.
    Devices: Motorola Moto G 5 Plus, Android 7.0. Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    Software: Windows 10 Pro x64. Outlook 2016. Deja Office 4.3.9 (build 1025).

Thank you everyone. I'll give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread