+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abandoning Outlook for Deja Office?

Abandoning Outlook for Deja Office?

Hi,
    I'm new to smartphones, just got a Moto X. I recently installed Deja office contact and calendar software for my two separate businesses and personal contacts.
    I used to use Outlook but I have the feeling that it may not be the best choice anymore so I'm in the process of completely switching over to my phone and Deja office.
    But I need to have backups so that should my phone crash or lost I would be able to restore everything. Also I would like to be able to look at these contacts and calendar on my PC if I was ever without my phone.
    Is there an application that I can install on my computer that will allow me to sync the PC with Moto?
    Does anybody here just use Deja instead of Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmeagig View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to smartphones, just got a Moto X. I recently installed Deja office contact and calendar software for my two separate businesses and personal contacts.
    I used to use Outlook but I have the feeling that it may not be the best choice anymore so I'm in the process of completely switching over to my phone and Deja office.
    But I need to have backups so that should my phone crash or lost I would be able to restore everything. Also I would like to be able to look at these contacts and calendar on my PC if I was ever without my phone.
    Is there an application that I can install on my computer that will allow me to sync the PC with Moto?
    Does anybody here just use Deja instead of Outlook?
    While I suppose you could use DejaCloud as a web based CRM from your desktop, it's really not the same thing. Companion Link syncs very easily with Outlook, so that if you already have that I would just stay with that.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

For me, the entire point of Deja is to be able to use Outlook AND Deja, to use the same stuff on the laptop as the cell/Tab.

But if you are sick of Outlook, then why not sync to Google calendar and Contacts? I don't sync to Google as I specifically don't want my personal info in the random cloud. But if I didn't care, I would sync with Google calendar, as then I could log in from anywhere with ANY computer.
    I could even share that Calendar with others.

Or go here, and look at the other options. http://www.companionlink.com
    there are like 15 other programs listed there on the left.

But it would seem to me that using the Google calendar in the cloud would be the best?

But I am sticking with Outlook-Android, and using either Bluetooth or USB, to keep my personal data local and not in the cloud.

hmm, maybe someone could help me, before I think it through.
    If you only used DejaOffice, and then pressed the options to sync with Google Calendar, would that not mean you don't even need Companionlink? You would just log into Google from your computer?

yeah, I think if you just pressed the Deja options to sync with Android Calendar and contacts, and then pressed the Android Account options to sync calendar and contacts, then you could view them in Google?
    http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...tml#nativesync

I can't check it, as its again my religion, but I will log into Google to make sure its NOT syncing that data.

yeah, someone correct me if I am wrong, but you just make sure to fully sync the main Google Acct from your phone with Google Calendar and contacts, and have that connected with Deja calendar/contacts, then you can view it from the computer when you are signed into the same Google account. www.google.com/calendar

I would actually use that if I had a Group using the same calendar, or something like that.
    You could view it in Deja or in Google from any device.

Eidt: but in that I case I think I would just use Google calendar and contacts! Otherwise what's the point if its not syncing to Outlook, etc?

The quick answer is simply that Google is a toy compared to Outlook. The range of fields available, and what you can do with them are still a fraction of what Outlook supports.

This only matters if you really use your data, or need precision. For instance, doing MYOB or any sort of categorization of Events is not possible in Google, but easy in Outlook. Likewise for Contacts, Outlook has a REALLY HANDY File As field that is essential if you use it. You put the name you use for people, and it makes them a snap to look up. Again, if you only have a couple hundred contacts, this is not such a big thing.

+ Reply to Thread