+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sync is not reliable

Sync is not reliable

I'm evaluating CompanionLink/DejaOffice combo for USB sync with my Outlook.

I REALLY like the idea and will pay whatever you want if it works.

Problem is I'm having problems. The sync seems completely unreliable. Some records update, some won't, when changed in Outlook. Some I can't seem to get rid of by deleting in Outlook and syncing. I'm not even trying to test changing records on the phone AND Outlook. I'm just using Outlook as my master source of records and trying to get DejaOffice to update. Sometimes yes, some times no. Now mostly if not always no. I've tried rebooting phone and PC. I've tried telling the set up to sync only from Outlook. I've tried that and telling it to wipe the phone version first (and it STILL won't delete the entries on the phone-if they're not in Outlook, and Deja is told to wipe first, WHERE are they coming from??). This happens with calendar, contacts, memos, etc. For contacts I've tried syncing with the PeopleApp and not. Ok, I can see how the People app could add another level of complexity to the sync troubleshooting, but this bizarre behavior happens even with calendar. It's basically gotten to the point where nothing is reliably sycing anymore.

I don't have much time left in the eval. I'm looking at this and another product that claims to do local sync via WIFI. I haven't tested that one yet because I like Deja a little better, but if I can't rely on it...

Can the DejaOffice tech support help here? Can you post some type of troubleshooting guide? Things I should check? Something?

Thanks

Oh, and I have that SD card issue that someone else mentioned. It really gets fouled up with the SD card in. I took it out and rebooted everything and Deja worked. Until it didn't.

DejaConnect USB??

Was just searching for help. I saw this thread on the Android page: http://www.dejaoffice.com/forums/sho...ht=sync+center

A new (then in 2012) way to sync for Android that's more reliable?

Does the Windows Phone app use that? Should it? Would it solve my reliability problems here?

danp,

Did you try forcing a reread from Outlook? I'm also evaluating the software and having similar issues. As part of troubleshooting, I found this: http://www.companionlink.com/support...rming_a_Reread It "seems" like it describes the problem and a fix, but so far, it hasn't worked for me, even if I also tell it to wipe the device first.

In addition to forcing a reread of Outlook data and wiping the device, I've now also tried disabling the "optimized update sync."

It is explained elsewhere as "Optimized Update Sync (OUS) is our way to sync only the changes to your data since the last time you synchronized. The result is a faster a faster sync process. Instead of sending and parsing over the full data set during the sync process, OUS keeps track of the changes to data. It syncs only those changes and doesn’t pass/parse the full data set. If OUS is set to “off”, CompanionLink will always read all data in the database during synchronization."

Syncing "only those changes"--sounds like an opportunity for things to get confused like I'm seeing. Unfortunately, even with that turned off, forcing a reread of Outlook data, AND wiping first, I still cannot get DejaOffice to match Outlook. I really don't know what else to do.

...and I just tried selecting an option "rebuild internal events" under calendar settings. I cannot find an explanation of it so I don't know what it does. It doesn't fix the syncing problems though.

Danp-

I PMed you so we can start a support ticket on the issue you're experiencing.

-Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Danp-

I PMed you so we can start a support ticket on the issue you're experiencing.

-Sean
    Thanks Sean, but I can no longer troubleshoot the problem as my trial period expired.

Anyhow, I never got a good feeling about how repeatable success or failure was. It just seemed very inconsistent. One thing I'll add is that sometimes, though a small percentage of times, I noticed Windows wouldn't recognize the device either. Obviously sync wouldn't work then and of course I don't blame Deja for that. I'd get unable to connect to the windows phone or something like that from Deja as an error message. I'd have to cancel the sync, disconnect the cable, start again, plug in the cable, and hope it was picked up, if not repeat. Sometimes I'd reboot the PC and phone too. I'm afraid that that partial / failed sync may have marked the records as synced and thus when it finally went they wouldn't sync because Deja thought they had already. I don't know your software, maybe that's possible or not, just a thought to check. I would get that unable to connect message other times when the pc clearly saw the phone and I could browse the files on it, so I have no idea.

Speaking of which, why do you have to start the sync w/ the cable disconnected?? That's a royal pain, and USB is kinda flaky to begin with...so if the pc/driver/whathaveyou is acting up and that either causes a problem with sync reliability theorized above or even if it doesn't and it's just a pain -- do you have a way to avoid forcing a disconnect first?

The device recognition problem though wasn't a problem in the majority of my tests...it's just yet another potential factor, like the SD card being inserted, and... it makes it very hard to figure out what does/does not cause the problem. It just doesn't seem to work very well, though I'd really really like to buy this software. I did also turn on logging and look at the results--clearly I don't know your software, but I didn't see anything jump out at me either.

Thanks
    Last edited by danp; 08-01-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Thanks Sean, but I can no longer troubleshoot the problem as my trial period expired.

Anyhow, I never got a good feeling about how repeatable success or failure was. It just seemed very inconsistent. One thing I'll add is that sometimes, though a small percentage of times, I noticed Windows wouldn't recognize the device either. Obviously sync wouldn't work then and of course I don't blame Deja for that. I'd get unable to connect to the windows phone or something like that from Deja as an error message. I'd have to cancel the sync, disconnect the cable, start again, plug in the cable, and hope it was picked up, if not repeat. Sometimes I'd reboot the PC and phone too. I'm afraid that that partial / failed sync may have marked the records as synced and thus when it finally went they wouldn't sync because Deja thought they had already. I don't know your software, maybe that's possible or not, just a thought to check. I would get that unable to connect message other times when the pc clearly saw the phone and I could browse the files on it, so I have no idea.

Speaking of which, why do you have to start the sync w/ the cable disconnected?? That's a royal pain, and USB is kinda flaky to begin with...so if the pc/driver/whathaveyou is acting up and that either causes a problem with sync reliability theorized above or even if it doesn't and it's just a pain -- do you have a way to avoid forcing a disconnect first?

The device recognition problem though wasn't a problem in the majority of my tests...it's just yet another potential factor, like the SD card being inserted, and... it makes it very hard to figure out what does/does not cause the problem. It just doesn't seem to work very well, though I'd really really like to buy this software. I did also turn on logging and look at the results--clearly I don't know your software, but I didn't see anything jump out at me either.

Thanks
    Dan-

If you'd like to continue troubleshooting, I'd be happy to extend your trial. Just send me the email address you're registered under (Private Message) and I'll have the trial reactivated.

I realize that the method of USB can be inconvenient, however we have to do the usb sync steps in a specific order for the app to communicate with Companionlink properly. Unfortunately, we have seen driver issues with the Windows Phone as well where it does not connect to the PC correctly, but this appears to be more device/pc related. If possible, I would suggest trying WIFI or our DejaCloud sync, allowing you to bypass the USB sync completely. If you need the USB sync to work, we can work with you to get it functioning properly as long as it can be recognized by the PC.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread