Thread: Customize default Alarm/snooze times

Customize default Alarm/snooze times

When a calendar reminder/alarm pops up - theres the default snooze list that lists many time durations: 1min, 2min, 3min, 1hr, 2hr, 1day, etc that are readily available to choose from.

Can there be an tab created under Settings > Alarm Settings (or Calendar Settings?) that allows me to customize the list of snooze durations?

I'm disappointed that a 2hr snooze is the largest duration I have without the next time window being 1day! Rather than have all the minute increments - I'd rather have hour increments - 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12hr, etc.

I know I can go to "Custom Snooze" and set it there - but it'd be very nice if that list was customizable to match the user's preference and use.

Thank you for your consideration and keep up the great work with Deja!!
    Brian

Brian, welcome to the forum.

Since we are now on year 4 of DejaOffice, I have become allergic to new settings. I really need to have a high bar to add any more. We added a lot early on, and that is one of the biggest faults in the project.

You are right that it is a failing not to have the lower numbers. How about if we add 3, 4 and 6 hours? I can't really see the need for a 12 hour snooze. Can you make me a case for it? (i.e. just give an example...)

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Brian, welcome to the forum.

Since we are now on year 4 of DejaOffice, I have become allergic to new settings. I really need to have a high bar to add any more. We added a lot early on, and that is one of the biggest faults in the project.

You are right that it is a failing not to have the lower numbers. How about if we add 3, 4 and 6 hours? I can't really see the need for a 12 hour snooze. Can you make me a case for it? (i.e. just give an example...)

Thanks for the quick reply DJ! My company develops software too - so I hear ya about the resistance to any more change and enhancements! But know you guys did an A-1 job! Outlook is not a child's program - its very powerful and interlinked among its sections - and 95% of the reason to go to a smart phone was to eliminate having to carry my palm pilot AND my cell (redundant contact lists). I spent much more time researching sync'ing with Outlook than the actual phone I bought! :-) My first smart phone was Windows based....and that was much more challenging to sync with outlook than I'd care to remember. Outlook changes every few years and I'm sure its hard to keep up - but your updates and bug fixes are much more timely and frequent than what my company can do! So know that you and the updates are appreciated! Keep up the great work!!

To answer you question - I guess I'm just so ingrained with Outlook. I've used it for so long that I create/plan my appointments based on the snooze options. "Paint fence" will pop up on a Saturday morning at 6am - and I'll snooze it til I can get to it. I'll plan some projects a week or so in advance, and its not til I wake up that morning that I'm reminded about the "paint fence" project (I have a pathetic short-term memory problem!) - and I realize theres no way I can get to it today.....but maybe there'll be time after dinner? So I'd 12hr snooze it and take my chances that evening. If not, another 12hr snooze puts me back at 6am the next day. Same goes with our dog - 5am weekday appointment for apply flea/tick medicine or give heartworm med so its active when I wake up with him and if I'm unable to do those things done in the morning, then I just have to wait til I get home in the evening after work (5pm).

Attached is a screen shot of what Outlook provides as snooze times. The quantity of options is about the same as what Deja provides; I've used the 1 week in outlook (for huge banquet/fundraising events I'm a part of just as a weekly "nag" to ensure I'm spending time getting the prep work done) but I really don't remember using the 2 week snooze.

As a mechanical engineer, I use Solidworks 3D drafting software. And their menus are insanely customizable because each engineers industry is so unique that many commands you'd simply never use - so why display them? But their "customize" screen doesn't allow me to actually "create" anything new - it just allows me to "turn on/off" the icons from displaying.....thereby giving me the control to only display what I want/need to see. Would that make this easier for you to implement this? You create 20-30 defined time options and then just have a check box next to each one that either activates/deactivates it.......and only active time options are listed on the snooze time list?! Just a friendly suggestion.

My continuous gratitude for considering my suggestion!
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images