Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CompanionLink sync now crashing regularly...

Tim

Could still be a minor Outlook issue delaying it's closing. I onced fixed a sync problem sometime ago by running Act's diagnostics on my database. Admittedly Companionlink was not crashing for me.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1131) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1131)
    WiFiSync

I had some email with support and Mr CTO, and their developer posted a test version that fixed the problem. Looks like they got it working. :-)

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

Good to hear that you're making progress.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1131) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1131)
    WiFiSync

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    I had some email with support and Mr CTO, and their developer posted a test version that fixed the problem. Looks like they got it working. :-)

- Tim
    Any insight on why? Be curious to know since I don't right now have any such problems.
    DejaOffice PC CRM Standalone, Windows 10 Home Version ver. 1903
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.
    DejaCloud Sync (PC and phone), USB Sync (Tablet).

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Any insight on why? Be curious to know since I don't right now have any such problems.
    In email, I got the impression from what DJOCTO told me, that the crash was happening in a 3rd party Outlook library API, so they don't have a lot of control over that. They probably added some kind of exception catching for this particular issue.

What he said, specifically, was "it is some Outlook object that is initialized but lost, so cleanup is failing". I don't know the technical specifics (though I'd like to, being a programmer and all).

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    In email, I got the impression from what DJOCTO told me, that the crash was happening in a 3rd party Outlook library API, so they don't have a lot of control over that. They probably added some kind of exception catching for this particular issue.

What he said, specifically, was "it is some Outlook object that is initialized but lost, so cleanup is failing". I don't know the technical specifics (though I'd like to, being a programmer and all).

- Tim
    Then I take it you have 3rd party Outlook add-ins? I learned a long while ago to not allow them unless I was desperate for the functionality (MS add-ins are usually okay). They often create problems of various sorts, in my experience. YMMV.
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Then I take it you have 3rd party Outlook add-ins? I learned a long while ago to not allow them unless I was desperate for the functionality (MS add-ins are usually okay). They often create problems of various sorts, in my experience. YMMV.
    Well I do, but only one - one that takes birthdays and adds them as Calendar events.

But I don't think that's the problem; some state in my Outlook database was a problem for the 3rd party API used by CompanionLink. By "3rd party API" I meant one that CompanionLink uses to do its work, not a 3rd party plugin I use. I forget if you've done programming - basically, any library used to do something that you yourself have not created is a "3rd party library", and that's what I meant.

Of course, that one add-on could be the problem, but it doesn't even get involved unless I invoke it, so it's likely not the issue.

- Tim

Sorry, misread your original post. I know what you mean although, no, not a programmer (I did program in Turbo Pascal in Grad school, but that was a loooooong time ago :-D).

I'm just looking forward to when they release the next version of CompanionLink that includes this fix. I could use the beta, but I prefer not to trust my data to a beta.

Hey, that rhymes! :-)

- Tim