+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extremely slow sync--especially for contacts

Extremely slow sync--especially for contacts

DJO (or other users),

Are you aware of any recent issues either with Windows Phone 8.1 (there weren't any reported in July when I first checked) or Outlook?

I've been plagued by extremely slow syncs (30 minutes +/-) for the last week or so, which coincides roughly with upgrading to 8.1. The upgrade may be a total coincidence however, as I think this issue started occurring prior to the upgrade, and because the slowest part appears to be with CompanionLink's communication with Outlook versus the phone.

The biggest sign that something is wrong is from the PC side when CompanionLink reads the Outlook data. For contacts, it will say "Reading Outlook Contacts" with a number that starts at 1 and runs to 51... then pauses for at least a minute, then goes to 101... pause... 151, etc. It reads 50 contacts at a time and seems to hang waiting for something to time out in between. I have over 1000 contacts, so that's 20 minutes of delay just waiting for that portion of the sync.

I've tried the "Optimized update sync" option and without. No difference. The other oddity is that CompanionLink's status screen kept showing the wrong date--it was showing last sync as December 2, even though I've had syncs slowly but seemingly successfully complete both under Windows 8.0 and 8.1 since then.

Tonight I tired telling CompanionLink to wipe the device first thinking that would help. It still took 30 minutes with the same odd "Reading Outlook Contacts" behavior, but finally changed the last sync date to today.

Update: So that last sync apparently took even long than I realized. It finished on the PC side and updated the sync date. However, for DejaOffice on the phone--there was a box that said "Updating Contacts" with a progress indicator that was moving very slowly. I finally got the "Synchronization Complete" message about an hour after I started...

Something is clearly wrong with syncing contacts. DejaOffice is set to sync with the People app btw in case that matters, which I need for caller ID purposes.

Thanks,
    Tom

Device: Samsung ATIV S Neo
    CompanionLink: 6.0.0.0.0 (Build 6018)
    DejaOffice: 1.1.6.60
    Last edited by tom2014; 12-10-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Tom,

It sounds like a number of things aren't right. The sync is not completing, and because it is not completing it needs to re-match records which is really slow.

Can you contact support@dejaoffice.com and they will help you send a log. The developer can figure out what is happening.

Thanks for the reply DJOCTO; I'm planning to open a ticket. I also did see your reply the day you posted, but haven't opened a ticket yet as I was planning to create several hundred dummy records to sync and generate a new log file based on that (to redact the contact names), and haven't had a chance to create those yet. I had disabled syncing contacts for the last month (aside from an update here or there) until I could open a ticket.

I noticed that the latest build of CompanionLink 6 for Outlook is 6040, and that it includes "software update for Windows 8.1" per the release notes. I'm on CompanionLink: 6.0.0.0.0 (Build 6018). Is this update related to this issue, and/or should I upgrade to the latest to see whether the issue is corrected?

Also, it may be worth noting that the contacts sync with Windows Phone (People app), but I don't have the calendar doing so in case it is that additional sync that's causing only the contacts to sync very slow.

For what its worth--before creating a new log file for the ticket, this is an excerpt of the log file I generated last month showing what is happening during the long pauses:

<2704> 12-11 17:57:27 [WifiSync] UpdateContact() - Adding record {REDACTED CONTACT}
    <2705> 12-11 17:57:27 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() DONE (clx_update)
    <2706> 12-11 17:57:27 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() START (clx_updatepicture)
    <2707> 12-11 17:57:27 [WifiSync] OnClxUpdatePicture()
    <2708> 12-11 17:57:28 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() DONE (clx_updatepicture)
    <2709> 12-11 17:57:28 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() START (clx_updatepicture)
    <2710> 12-11 17:57:28 [WifiSync] OnClxUpdatePicture()

... (Three function calls above repeat here ~48 times, so with lines above and below, a total of ~50)

<2852> 12-11 17:58:23 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() DONE (clx_updatepicture)
    <2853> 12-11 17:58:23 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() START (clx_updatepicture)
    <2854> 12-11 17:58:23 [WifiSync] OnClxUpdatePicture()
    <2855> 12-11 17:58:24 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() DONE (clx_updatepicture)
    <2856> 12-11 17:58:27 [WifiSync] SocketListener_ConnectionReceived() START (clx_update)
    <2857> 12-11 17:58:27 [WifiSync] OnClxUpdate()
    <2858> 12-11 17:58:27 [WifiSync] UpdateContact() - Adding record {REDACTED CONTACT}

Thank you,
    Tom

Device: Samsung ATIV S Neo
    CompanionLink: 6.0.0.0.0 (Build 6018)
    DejaOffice: 1.1.6.60
    Last edited by tom2014; 01-20-2015 at 08:59 AM.

I'm not sure what to make of the log lines. This is really something for the tech support department.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of the log lines. This is really something for the tech support department.
    Thank you @DJOCTO; fair enough on the logs. Do you know what the referenced 8.1 update is however? It may be that this was already fixed in CompanionLink, but I can't tell from the change log what exactly was updated for 8.1. Thanks.

I went ahead and upgraded to the current version of CompanionLink....and unfortunately, something has become corrupted and I can no longer sync. I'll post the details separately.

I reverted to build 6018. In addition to the details posted for the build 6040 sync failure, I also opened a ticket. I reverted in the interim however to restore the sync functionality.

+ Reply to Thread