Thread: Lots of weird stuff happening with Android/Outlook Wifi sync now - dups, deletions...

Lots of weird stuff happening with Android/Outlook Wifi sync now - dups, deletions...

Recent builds of Companionlink have been doing weird things while syncing.

1) I keep getting duplicates of repeating meetings

2) If I delete one of the dups, BOTH disappear from both Android and Outlook upon the next sync

3) After a sync, sometimes the device loses its Device ID and changes back to something generic, by itself

... anyone else seeing these weird behaviors? It's worrisome. :-(

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

I don't use wifi sync because I always had problems with it even though others swear by it. I use the regular mass storage mode which works fine with my Nexus 5 even though it is really using an MTP connection.

That said, after installing build 6042, I did get a few oddities last night where changes in outlook (change in the start time of a recurring meeting, single appointment moved to a week later) resulted in duplications (I had two recurring meetings at both the old and new start times and both appointments). Easy to delete the dupes, but not something I want to see happening. The dupes were in both Outlook and Android, so I did what I usually do after a sync messes up like that-- I fixed Outlook and did the CL equivalent of Desktop Overwrites Handheld. All is good now and hope it stays that way. Generally I have found that rereading Outlook and deleting Android before sync cures most syncing problems.

I'll watch to see if 6042 continues to have problems.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I don't use wifi sync because I always had problems with it even though others swear by it. I use the regular mass storage mode which works fine with my Nexus 5 even though it is really using an MTP connection.

That said, after installing build 6042, I did get a few oddities last night where changes in outlook (change in the start time of a recurring meeting, single appointment moved to a week later) resulted in duplications (I had two recurring meetings at both the old and new start times and both appointments). Easy to delete the dupes, but not something I want to see happening. The dupes were in both Outlook and Android, so I did what I usually do after a sync messes up like that-- I fixed Outlook and did the CL equivalent of Desktop Overwrites Handheld. All is good now and hope it stays that way. Generally I have found that rereading Outlook and deleting Android before sync cures most syncing problems.

I'll watch to see if 6042 continues to have problems.
    The mystery dups and deletions happened, actually, mostly (or only?) when I selected "reread" on both Outlook and Android. I did the deletion of dups on Outlook.

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    The mystery dups and deletions happened, actually, mostly (or only?) when I selected "reread" on both Outlook and Android. I did the deletion of dups on Outlook.

- Tim
    That could be a problem... I'm not sure why you would reread both. I would think at least you would want to reread one, then see what you have before rereading the other if needed. I don't know-- I've just never ever set both to reread so I'm not sure what the use case for that is. I'm not saying you are doing it wrong, I just haven't thought about doing that.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    That could be a problem... I'm not sure why you would reread both. I would think at least you would want to reread one, then see what you have before rereading the other if needed. I don't know-- I've just never ever set both to reread so I'm not sure what the use case for that is. I'm not saying you are doing it wrong, I just haven't thought about doing that.
    Hmm, I had always thought that rereading both was a good way to make sure that everything was in sync, in case there were issues. But it causing deletions of things I didn't delete seems weird.

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    Hmm, I had always thought that rereading both was a good way to make sure that everything was in sync, in case there were issues. But it causing deletions of things I didn't delete seems weird.

- Tim
    You might be right. I just said it never occurred to me to do that. Since Outlook is my master, if something goes wrong, I correct Outlook, reread Outlook and wipe android on the next sync. YMMV