Thread: Not Pleased - CompanionLink Outlook/Android sync for repeating events still SUCKS

Not Pleased - CompanionLink Outlook/Android sync for repeating events still SUCKS

Hi folks...

I am still getting very inconsistent and unstable results when syncing between my Nexus 5 and Outlook using local WiFi sync.

As reported several times before, sometimes repeating events are duplicated. Sometimes they are removed for no reason. Sometimes I remove one of the duplicated events, and on next sync, ALL are removed.

Definitely unstable and Not-To-Be-Trusted, unfortunately.

Am I the only one having these problems? I keep removing all repeating events and later re-adding them anew, but the same issues keep happening, in every update of CompanionLink and DejaOffice.

I am not pleased.

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

Also, latest version of DejaOffice keeps hanging, getting many MANY "DejaOffice isn't responding." errors. This appears to be happening after EVERY sync. NOT good. In fact, when this happens, the phone mostly locks up entirely...

This is happening on my Nexus 5 running Lollipop.

Quality control, anyone? :-(

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 03-19-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Aaaand also, local WiFi sync is often failing (sync can't find device). I haven't changed my network config, so something weird is happening there.

- Tim

Tim,

I don't see what you are seeing with repeating events, although I probably have fewer than you do. But in general Outlook (2013 in my case, but I doubt that makes a difference) behaves well with Deja Office. I do notice we seem to have different versions of Deja Office.

As for wifi sync, I have always found it problematic. For one thing, Deja Office seems to grab an ip from my network that my computer doesn't see. I wish they would let you pick your own ip in Deja Office. The few times I tried wifi sync, it was just too frustrating. I use Direct USB (Mass Storage Mode) with my Nexus 5 and it works just fine even though the Nexus 5 is actually using MTP.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Tim,

I don't see what you are seeing with repeating events, although I probably have fewer than you do. But in general Outlook (2013 in my case, but I doubt that makes a difference) behaves well with Deja Office. I do notice we seem to have different versions of Deja Office.

As for wifi sync, I have always found it problematic. For one thing, Deja Office seems to grab an ip from my network that my computer doesn't see. I wish they would let you pick your own ip in Deja Office. The few times I tried wifi sync, it was just too frustrating. I use Direct USB (Mass Storage Mode) with my Nexus 5 and it works just fine even though the Nexus 5 is actually using MTP.
    Hmm. I haven't used USB sync in a zillion years (give or take). Not sure I'd like to go back to that. I guess we can't do a good comparison given our platform differences (rooted/not-rooted, stock/non-stock kernel, different Outlook versions, different DejaOffice versions (I'm using the latest they posted - might have some problems in Lollipop), different sync methods.

- Tim

Tim,

There is an obscure issue with Wi-Fi speeds. This is from our internal files:

>I remember you once sent an email about a customer who had mentions his wifi sync was affected due to the fact that his router was putting out both 2.4 and 5.0GHz frequency.

> I’m played with my own router and found this to be somewhat true. I found if my computer is connected to 5.0 and my phone is connected to 2.4, there are problems.

I think the solution is to force the router to use one frequency or the other. In Wi-Fi sync, the router mediates the transmission, so it must be in the same mode to the PC and Device at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Tim,

There is an obscure issue with Wi-Fi speeds. This is from our internal files:

>I remember you once sent an email about a customer who had mentions his wifi sync was affected due to the fact that his router was putting out both 2.4 and 5.0GHz frequency.

> I’m played with my own router and found this to be somewhat true. I found if my computer is connected to 5.0 and my phone is connected to 2.4, there are problems.

I think the solution is to force the router to use one frequency or the other. In Wi-Fi sync, the router mediates the transmission, so it must be in the same mode to the PC and Device at the same time.
    I'm am indeed using a dual-band router. I will turn off 5.0 and see if that solves the networking issue.

Incidentally, I noticed you came out with a 3.2.6 version, and all of its changelogs are the same as 3.2.5, but the 3.2.5 changelogs have disappeared.

Did you fix anything in 3.2.6? Perhaps some of the issues I mention above?

I'm still wondering why repeating events are so unpredicable; my setup isn't that unusual, so I'm surprised more people haven't reported them; perhaps it's because I use a lot of repeating events? (birthdays, weekly meetings, etc).

- Tim