+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DejaOffice and Outlook 2013 Calendar Sync with CompanionLink 6 Pro

DejaOffice and Outlook 2013 Calendar Sync with CompanionLink 6 Pro

I just setup CompanionLink 6 Pro (Build 6042) to sync Outlook 2013 to My Driod Turbo. The Tasks will link to a Contact record, but the Appointments in the Calendar will not link. I have activated the Contact field in the Appointment form to link the contact. It appears that the only way I can get a link is to put "Link: [Contact Name]" in the note field. Then it will link in the android DejaOffice app. I like the link because then I can select a contact in DejaOffice and see all of the activities associated with that contact in one place.

Is contact linking to calendar appointments unsupported for this application?

Thanks,

How are you creating those links? If I create a calendar event in Outlook 2013 by dragging a contact record into the event notes field, that contact record does not show when viewing the event in DejaOffice build 716. Likewise, if I create a task within Outlook 2013 and also add a contact record (by dragging the contact item into the notes area of the task within Outlook), that contact record also does not show within the task when viewed within DejaOffice. I agree that it would be nice if the developers could preserve those links.

But on a similar test, if I create a calendar item within DejaOffice and add a contact which will also fill in the location field using the contacts record, that contact information except for the location is not preserved when synchronized with Outlook. Here again it would be nice if the developers could insert a link within the notes field that Outlook itself would recognize in order to bring up the contact record within Outlook when clicked. This also holds true for creating an event within DejaOffice.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Jerry, try going the other way from DejaOffice to Outlook.

The "link" in Outlook is the Contact field as you suggest. If you fill it in, it should be linked after the sync. However, Outlook is a quirky beast.

If you have further issues please contact CompanionLink Support for this. They'll get you configured right.

DJOCTO - could you reply to my comments to this thread as well. Thanks.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

bmac,

In Outlook, going to Calendar Edit, we look at the field called "Contacts". This aligns to the Contacts field in DejaOffice.

The Note field in Outlook is moved to the Note field in DejaCalendar. However, since Outlook notes are RTF and Android notes are HTML, we only move the text value of the note field.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    The Note field in Outlook is moved to the Note field in DejaCalendar. However, since Outlook notes are RTF and Android notes are HTML, we only move the text value of the note field.
    Let me see if I understand this -- so any hyperlinks I insert in the notes field, for example in an Outlook task, will be lost? I'm not sure that is the right terminology as the hyperlink is not displayed within Deja tasks, but Deja tasks does not strip the notes field of any hyperlink. So when changes are made to the Deja task and then re-synchronized back up Outlook, the prior hyperlink is still there (thank goodness).

But why isn't this possible why not display the hyperlink even if the smart phone can't act on it? That might help the user remember that there is more information someplace else. I'm not sure what the difference is between a hyperlink and a HTML URL? If at some point Deja tasks will allow attachments why would you not consider that a hyperlink is nothing more than an attachment. Maybe I'm missing something here.

bmac, hyperlinks are carried in plain text (i.e. they do not require formatting).

So the formatting that is not carried is Bold, Underline, inline photos, tables.

As far as the hyperlinks - we lost a bit of formatting in the market release, and this is getting updated shortly. Sorry about that. We changed systems a bit to better handle overseas phone numbers (phone numbers with digits greater and less than 10 digits).

A hyperlink should work fine provided it has the http:// in front.

+ Reply to Thread