Thread: How to change text of the shortcuts?

Question How to change text of the shortcuts?

If placing shortcuts on the desktop, specially the Calendar gets a rather strange text like:
    DejaCalendar - Letzte...
    which of course does not fit very well on the home screen.
    Depending on the selected font size, some of the other text's also wrap to 2 lines.

Is there a way I can change the texts shown below the icons on the home screen?

Thanks.
    McL
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by McLion View Post
    If placing shortcuts on the desktop, specially the Calendar gets a rather strange text like:
    DejaCalendar - Letzte...
    which of course does not fit very well on the home screen.
    Depending on the selected font size, some of the other text's also wrap to 2 lines.

Is there a way I can change the texts shown below the icons on the home screen?

Thanks.
    McL
    I don't know for sure how this works in other launchers, but in Nova Launcher I can. I hold the shortcut option and a menu comes up that includes "edit." That allows me to change the name of the shortcut. I would hope there would be a similar feature in any launcher.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Unfortunately, there is no way to control the text on the Android desktop as there is in Windows.

Check out Nova.

I also use Nova Launcher, I can confirm that if you long press an icon you are able to edit the text label.

I am using Nova Launcher and Dolphin as my browser as they make 2012 Nexus 7 much faster than the Lollipop stock launcher and Chrome browser.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1091) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1091)
    WiFiSync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no way to control the text on the Android desktop as there is in Windows.
    You're right. Just tried in the GEL launcher/desktop and you can't do it. One of the many reasons that, for the past 3 years, the first thing I do to a new device is install Nova Launcher.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Then you should correct your code when generating the shortcuts.
    DejaCalendar - Letzte... as linkname does not come from Android, it must be sourced from your code.
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

In what way would we correct it? What would you propose?

Keep in mind that different Android devices handle the title in different ways. Most devices wrap to two lines. Some devices use one line.

How about just name it like the others and how it is listed in the GUI where the user select which one he wants to have on the homescreen:

DejaCalendar

instead of
    DejaCalendar - Letzte...

It calls the last view that was active. I suspect that this is what Letzte... would say.

I'll have the programmer remove the text "last view" from the first DejaCalendar shortcut.

To create this shortcut, you can go to the Settings Wizard, and on the last screen instruct it to add a shortcut there. This should add DejaCalendar without any extra text.

Thanks