+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CompanionLink auto auto synchronization settings

Question CompanionLink auto auto synchronization settings

I believe a feature within CompanionLink, Dejacloud push sync, has the capability of corrupting the Outlook PST file when 2 different computers independently share that PST file. Let me explain.

For years I have been using dropbox to store a PST file that is shared between a desktop computer and a laptop computer. The 2 computers are never used concurrently. 80% of the time I am on a desktop, but for the remaining 20% when it is necessary to travel to a meeting, outlook on the desktop is closed and Outlook on the laptop is only opened when it is certain that the PST file has been uploaded to the dropbox cloud and transferred to the laptop dropbox folder. This has worked fine, has not resulted in any conflicted PST files, and saves an enormous amount of time knowing that outlook on both devices is up-to-date. HOWEVER

If I were to select Within CompanionLink auto synchronization the setting to use DejaCloud push sync I believe, although I am not certain, that even when Outlook on the desktop is closed, CompanionLink would be monitoring any changes to the PST file and if it notes a change, it uploads those changes to the Deja cloud. As a result of doing that the file date/time for the PST file changes. During this time, Outlook was open on the laptop and when that file is closed, the PST file will have a different date stamp. Dropbox responds by labeling one of the files as conflicted.

So the question is -- when Outlook is closed on a PC, is CompanionLink totally dormant? I would like to use the Deja cloud push sync feature, but I'm concerned that when Outlook on the desktop PC is closed, that feature will continue to monitor the Outlook file and I will end up with a conflicted PST file.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

bmac, Those are good questions and let me give you an understanding off what is happening.

CompanionLink on the PC uses the Outlook API to write to the Outlook datastore. It does not write to PST files directly. It uses the Outlook objects model to access the datastore which is a Windows object.

While you may close the Outlook window on the PC, you will note that it may not be closed in Windows. You can use the Task Manager to see whether it is. However, from what I know, the Outlook Objects model keeps Outlook open in the background.

If your PST file is on a removable drive, and you remove the drive without "shutting it down", then I would assume that the file may get corrupted. In addition, I'm not positive that shutting it down actually disconnects the Outlook Objects from the file. This is not within our realm to know.

The timed sync options; like sync every 5 minutes, do shut down the Windows Object connection between synchronizations. If you use that, and also disconnect the device (which flushes cache and closes files) then that should be dependable. The realtime sync works by keeping a realtime connection going. So removing the drive while it is connected may result in unflushed changes to the PST file.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks for your reply CTO. I do make sure that Outlook is totally closed by monitoring the task manager. At times it tends to stay open for some reason. If Outlook still remains open, then drop box will not initiate the upload of the PST file.

So my question remains if I select, within CompanionLink, the Dejacloud auto push then that will totally stop being functional once outlook on the desktop is closed.

Suggestion: in the CompanionLink auto synchronization entries, it would be nice to have checkboxes (instead of buttons) such that I could select that synchronization would happen when Outlook opens, or when Outlook closes, as well as the Deja cloud push sync or the option to synchronize every so many minutes.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

> Suggestion: in the CompanionLink auto synchronization entries, it would be nice to have checkboxes (instead of buttons) such that I could select that synchronization would happen when Outlook opens, or when Outlook closes, as well as the Deja cloud push sync or the option to synchronize every so many minutes.

Bmac, my brain must just not be working today.

1. Auto synchronization items are radio buttons. That is; only one can be selected. They stand for different modes of operation.

2. We can't really make options on whether Outlook is visible. From the standpoint of the Outlook API, Outlook is always open. Ie. we call the API and it is there.

3. We define DejaCloud Push sync in two modes. Push Cloud to PC which is initiated by the cloud. And Push PC to Cloud, which is initiated by the PC software. Which one of these are you referring to?

4. The option to sync every few minutes is already there.

I apologize. A Google change this week has meant we have answered a far higher number of emails. I'm just not parsing well what you are requesting here. If I had to guess think it is:

a) To Auto-Sync, add an option to sync when Outlook Open and Closes

b) something with DejaCloud push sync in one direction or the other.

Thanks

CTO - yes, I rfealize the CompanionLink selection buttons are option buttons. I was hoping your developer could convert them to checkboxes and as such the user could select multiple options, such as: select start when outlook opens AND close when Outlook closes AND use Deja Push sync. Surely you can detect when OL opens or closes on the desktop so you could discontinue any activity with OL after the user closes it.

+ Reply to Thread