Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local WiFi Sync / CL 7 - several repeating events disappeared...

Local WiFi Sync / CL 7 - several repeating events disappeared...

I upgraded to CL 7 last week. I did a one-way sync, Outlook -> Android (with wipe phone first). Then I did a 2-way sync.

I just noticed that at least a few repeating events disappeared from both Outlook and Android. Several older/complete repeating events disappeared, and a current every-other-Monday repeating event disappeared as well. I have no idea why it was deleted, as it was an ongoing, current repeating event. But all trace of it has disappeared from phone and Outlook.

I would love it if I could count on DejaOffice/CompanionLink completely, but this kind of thing has happened on and off during my use of CompanionLink over the years, and makes it a source of continual worry for me. There's nothing as good as it, but when it does things like this, I wonder... "how many other things got lost?"

:-(

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

I just noticed that it is also duplicating other repeating events.

This sucks.

- Tim

Aaaaand... after deleting one of the duplicates, ALL are deleted at next sync.

You guys really need to get your acts together regarding repeating event sync between Outlook and Android. This has happened on and off for YEARS now.

- Tim

I also see that a new Category I created in DejaOffice isn't syncing with Outlook. It says "Not in master category list" in outlook.
    What's going on there?

- Tim

Tim, check on the phone whether it is bouncing things to the Google Calendar account. This will cause the problems you mention with recurrings. Basically the wipe cleans the phone, but they bounce back from Google.

I recommend NOT using wipe. It's not just Google. Verizon backup, and iCloud (for iOS device) does the same thing.

This is really strange. I have never used wifi sync much, but I wouldn't expect it to have unique problems. However, using direct USB (both types) and Deja Cloud, I have never seen any of these problems crop up past my initial couple of weeks of taming CL-DJO back several years ago. Just for fun, I created a new category (haven't in a long while) on the phone and it synced fine.

Then again, you may have much greater complexity than I have (a mere 400 calendar items), so maybe that is where things break down and my uses don't provide enough of a stress test.

EDIT: Opps, DJOCTO slipped in while I was composing.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Tim, check on the phone whether it is bouncing things to the Google Calendar account. This will cause the problems you mention with recurrings. Basically the wipe cleans the phone, but they bounce back from Google.

I recommend NOT using wipe. It's not just Google. Verizon backup, and iCloud (for iOS device) does the same thing.
    I'm pretty sure I don't have anything in the basic PIM functions that connects with Google services.

Always possible I missed something, however; is it a DejaOffice setting or an Android setting? I never sync the Calendar with any Google service, that's for sure.

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    This is really strange. I have never used wifi sync much, but I wouldn't expect it to have unique problems. However, using direct USB (both types) and Deja Cloud, I have never seen any of these problems crop up past my initial couple of weeks of taming CL-DJO back several years ago. Just for fun, I created a new category (haven't in a long while) on the phone and it synced fine.

Then again, you may have much greater complexity than I have (a mere 400 calendar items), so maybe that is where things break down and my uses don't provide enough of a stress test.

EDIT: Opps, DJOCTO slipped in while I was composing.
    I have 300 or so contacts and many Calendar items - not sure how many. When I first did a wipe/push, I synced my entire Calendar's content (going back 15 years). After that I only sync 90 days.

Not sure why I have seen these issues so often; I'm not doing anything that unusual. Most of the problems have happened with repeating events, in any case, of which I have many.

- Tim

Repeating events by themselves are not a problem.

The worst-case data scenario is a repeated event with many exceptions. Each exception is a link added to a chain. So when the exception is made, it adds an event to the original repeating pattern. If there are many exceptions, it becomes a long chain. If anything gets corrupt for any link, the remainder of the chain gets lost.

So if you have a lot of chains, then you will see problems in them. One good way to get around this is to restart the repeating event periodically. If you keep the exception chains under 50 links (50 exceptions) they should be pretty easy to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Repeating events by themselves are not a problem.

The worst-case data scenario is a repeated event with many exceptions. Each exception is a link added to a chain. So when the exception is made, it adds an event to the original repeating pattern. If there are many exceptions, it becomes a long chain. If anything gets corrupt for any link, the remainder of the chain gets lost.

So if you have a lot of chains, then you will see problems in them. One good way to get around this is to restart the repeating event periodically. If you keep the exception chains under 50 links (50 exceptions) they should be pretty easy to handle.
    I have a few exceptions, but mostly not. I'll look into your suggestion in any case. :-)

- Tim