+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Widget missing

Widget missing

I moved DejaOffice from internal to phone storage to make more room in internal storage. Now the calendar widget is missing from my phone desktop and the DejaOffice widgets are not listed in widgets so I can restore it. How do I get back the widget? Phone is Android on HTC Rezound.

When apps are on SD cards Android is not able access them in the same way as it can when apps are in internal memory.

I understand that when Android starts it loads all processes before mounting the SD card. This is why widgets don't work if apps are the SD card. I am afraid that this is a limitation of the Android system.

If you want to use widgets I am afraid DJO must be installed on internal memory.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Hi Cecil,
    Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I misunderstand but I believe Phone Storage is not the SD card, which is external storage. I understand Phone Storage to be part of the phone's memory, but out of the partition were operating system files and Verizon pre-installed apps, and some user installed apps, are located. I'm not an expert, but that's how I understand the terminology to mean. Other apps in Phone Storage show widgets available in the Add Widget screen, but DejaOffice's are not there anymore.

It looks like Android doesn't see Phone Storage as part of the System memory so can't access it when the phone is starting up.

Have you tried restarting the phone to see if that helps.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Yes, I've restarted twice but no luck.

GenO thanks for the report. We'll check into it.

The only think that phone storage should impact is the speed after the boot. The phone storage is not mounted at boot time. But it should be mounted soon after, and everything should then swing into place.

GeneO, I thought I had it! We found a note that you had to reboot. But you said you did.

Here is a link to android’s developer documentation on the issue. If you read the block and the list of entries below it for things not to do if installed on external storage, it shows widgets as one of them.

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...html#ShouldNot
    If they still don't show after reboot, then we just don't know. It's part of the OS.

Hi Djocto,
    Thanks for the information. I guess this will have to remain a mystery. DejaOffice is not on the SD card (external memory). It is still on the phone's main memory. What I did was move it from one side of the partition on that memory to the other side. If doing that is something that interferes with the apps widgets then perhaps DejaOffice needs a setting revised so it can not be moved across the partition, or at least not without a warning that moving it will cause the loss of widgets. Other apps on the side of the partition where DejaOffice now resides have functional widgets. Those apps installed directly to that side of the partition. I did not move them there. I'm considering getting a new phone so if I do, when I set up DejaOffice on it at least I'll know not to relocate it across the partition.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
    Hi Djocto,
    Thanks for the information. I guess this will have to remain a mystery. DejaOffice is not on the SD card (external memory). It is still on the phone's main memory. What I did was move it from one side of the partition on that memory to the other side. If doing that is something that interferes with the apps widgets then perhaps DejaOffice needs a setting revised so it can not be moved across the partition, or at least not without a warning that moving it will cause the loss of widgets. Other apps on the side of the partition where DejaOffice now resides have functional widgets. Those apps installed directly to that side of the partition. I did not move them there. I'm considering getting a new phone so if I do, when I set up DejaOffice on it at least I'll know not to relocate it across the partition.
    Is your phone rooted? It sounds like you are describing the system partition. Yes, there are apps, system apps, that are installed on that partition and have widgets, but they have special status being system apps. Maybe the widgets would work if you put DejaOffice in the system/apps folder, or you could try using Titanium Back-up to make DJO a system app, but I don't know if that will work and Android is not set up for you to use the system partition for user apps. Also, Deja Office does not officially support rooted phones (for good reason) although they will try their best to help anyone with a rooted device.

What you are asking for is not something that 3rd party apps do. Further, you really don't want to go filling your system partition. It's not a good solution to freeing up space on your internal sdcard memory (of which Deja Office doesn't take that big of a chunk).

Bottom line, unless I've misunderstood what you are doing, you are asking for something that goes against how Android operates. It may or may not be possible to make it work, but messing with your system partition is not a good idea and you can't really expect third party developers to support it.
    Last edited by Hook; 11-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

+ Reply to Thread