Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Companionlink 7 Build 7010 in Memory

Companionlink 7 Build 7010 in Memory

I do not have CompanionLink automatically start with Windows 10. When I want to make sure that my Outlook 2016 the file is properly synchronized with DejaCloud, I manually start CompanionLink to synchronize to DejaCloud and then when I close Outlook, I also close CompanionLink. However, CompanionLink remains as a process and every minute continues to open the Outlook PST file to, I assume, attempt a synchronization with DejaCloud. Then it closes the PST file. This produces a new timestamp for the file and as such, dropbox thinks the file has changed so it attempts to upload the changed file to the dropbox cloud.

When I close CompanionLink, it should eliminate the process as well.

Why does this matter to me? I synchronize Outlook 2016 between two computers -- my desktop and laptop. If CompanionLink on the desktop continues to be active, then dropbox produces what is called a conflicted copy of the PST file. This causes a number of issues if I am already using Outlook on the laptop which has already loaded the PST file.

Is there a way CompanionLink can be configured that when it is close, it also closes the process?
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

bmac, in CompanionLink Settings, Advanced Button, Auto-Synchronization, set it to Manual Sync. When in Manual Sync mode the agent will not need to check Outlook.

All other Auto-Sync settings will open Outlook periodically to check for changes.

Thanks CTO. But would it be difficult to terminate the windows process at the same time CompanionLink is closed? I do not mind setting it to manual sync, but I prefer the pushsync - as sometimes I forget (old age!).
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Push sync requires CompanionLink to be open, and also Outlook.

I guess I'm not clear on what you are wanting. The Icon represents that CompanionLink is active. I.e. it is checking various processes.

Is your issue more that it is checking Outlook too often when Outlook is inactive? We can look at this.

Yes, it is actually opening the PST file and checking it every minute. This is after Outlook as a Windows application has been closed by the user. The problem with CompanionLink doing this is that I may have Outlook open on the laptop. Both the desktop and the laptop share the PST file stored on dropbox and if the PST file is in use on the laptop but CompanionLink is checking the PST file on the desktop, dropbox will produce a conflicted copy.

Ok. I wrote this up as a "Idle Process" should not open Outlook. I'll work it out with the developer.

The key here is the local file, but for you it's not really local but tied to dropbox.

For Exchange files, we need to check if Exchange has modified the contents. But for a local file we should be able to check the file date/time to see if there are changes.

Thanks for your help CTO!. I look forward to the update.

CTO - just wondering if a new build will be available with this issue fixed? Is there an in house build site for companionlink as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I do not have CompanionLink automatically start with Windows 10. When I want to make sure that my Outlook 2016 the file is properly synchronized with DejaCloud, I manually start CompanionLink to synchronize to DejaCloud and then when I close Outlook, I also close CompanionLink. However, CompanionLink remains as a process and every minute continues to open the Outlook PST file to, I assume, attempt a synchronization with DejaCloud. Then it closes the PST file. This produces a new timestamp for the file and as such, dropbox thinks the file has changed so it attempts to upload the changed file to the dropbox cloud.

When I close CompanionLink, it should eliminate the process as well.

Why does this matter to me? I synchronize Outlook 2016 between two computers -- my desktop and laptop. If CompanionLink on the desktop continues to be active, then dropbox produces what is called a conflicted copy of the PST file. This causes a number of issues if I am already using Outlook on the laptop which has already loaded the PST file.

Is there a way CompanionLink can be configured that when it is close, it also closes the process?
    How are you closing CompanionLink? The X button does not close CompanionLink, it just minimizes to the System Tray. To close CompanionLink either File>Exit or right-click on the icon in the System Tray and slect Exit.
    PC: Windows 7, 64 bit
    CompanionLink build #: Companionlink 7 for Outlook, Build 8019.7
    Data Manager App: Outlook 2010 64-bit
    Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950F);
    DejaOffice version#: 4_4_7_1069
    Sync Method with CompanionLink: DejaCloud
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts: Selected, sync with Android, Account = DejaOffice.
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Calendar: Not selected.
    Native Contacts Account: DejaOffice

convenient

I was closing it using the windows red X. You are right that if I close it with the file/exit, the process closes as well.

But I still think it would be more convenient -- for the user -- if the CL process didn't open the PST file if the file date/time does not change from the time before.