+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reminders in Google calendar

Reminders in Google calendar

If I add a reminder in google calendar and have the DJO calendar sync with the google calendar, will reminders come across?

See http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/07/goo...ets-reminders/
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

So the thing about Google is they are a linux shop. I've been to their headquarters. Their executives carry laptops using open source things like OpenOffice and Thunderbird.

Google Headquarters is literally across the street from Apple Headquarters. So if you ever notice that Google "Groupthink" is nearly identical to Apple "Groupthink" keep in mind they trade staff on a regular basis, and they eat lunch at the same area restaurants, go to the same gyms, etc.

So the thing about Google and Apple executives is that capability in Outlook is not a work requirement like it is for the entire rest of the world. At Google and Apple, "Windows" is a swear word, and a career ender.

So Google thinks that Google Tasks sucks so bad they have abandon it. (It does.) Now they are "reinventing tasks" just like Apple did, as part of the Calendar. Notwithstanding that Palm had a decent task app in 1996, and so did the Casio BOSS organizer in 1988. Here's a little known fact: Windows Link for the Casio BOSS Organizer (created from Packrat 4 and Packrat 5) is product CompanionLink acquired. Yes, we have Task sync that is that old.

No, Google just invented Reminders. Woowoo. No API. Doesn't sync anywhere. It's because Tasks are NEW. No one has ever done them before.

Get it?
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 12-10-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks CTO! Wow, interesting history. I was an extremely heavy user of Packrat and still think of it many times of how far ahead they were with a personal information manager back then.

I bet that your development team could do the same thing with DJO as Google has just "invented" with reminders in the Google calendar. The nice thing about what I saw is that the task kept updating to the new day until it was completed. So there was no manual rollover needed. I would not suggest that DJO consider this task approach for all tasks, but maybe when defining a simple task ("don't forget milk") DJO provide a checkbox to "maintain this task on the calendar and not within tasks".

So upon synchronization with Outlook, the task shows up as an all day event and simply disappears when it is completed.
    Using Outlook 2016 Pro on a desktop PC running Windows 10/64 bit Pro with a Moto X 2015 Pure with 6.0 Marshmellow. Laptop is a 8 GB Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 Pro 64 bit

That sounds a bit like Floats in Pimlical where you can have a task, even without a due date, that simply appears on the calendar and floats from day to day until it was done. I do put all my tasks as calendar events, not as tasks. I don't use DejaTasks at all --I'm very calendar oriented. I would love to have floats in DejaCalendar. Outlook would of course be the problem-- you would have to get Outlook to show the float on the current day when it syncs and delete the one it had synced on the previous date. Probably create more headaches than it's worth, but if it could be done I would love it.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Floats: Sounds interesting.

Google Reminders: We have found they sync to Google Keep. Google Keep has no API.

Stuck for now.

+ Reply to Thread