+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Blackberry Priv User; dazed and confused.

New Blackberry Priv User; dazed and confused.

My sync experience has been between Blackberry Torch and Outlook with two gmail accounts Ė one of which I use only as an email account while the other is also used for all Outlook functions i.e. calendar, people/contacts, tasks. For five years, I synced via USB; any changes done on the phone would appear in Outlook and vice versa. When I upgraded to Windows 7 several years ago, I discovered Companion Link, which allowed me to continue to sync as before, in the Windows 7 environment.

I have recently purchased a Blackberry Priv; while I expected a learning curve, I didnít realize it would be perpendicular! I am now in a world of Android native accounts and Deja Office accounts and have no (correct/accurate) idea how they interact with each other, or with Outlook. The guides and forums have lots of discussion which assumes a big-picture level of understanding which I have not yet attained.

So I have Companion Link on my PC and DejaOffice on my phone, along with many duplicate entries on both sides, a duplicate of one of my gmail accounts and an Exchange account which I suspect I donít need. I have managed to delete critical information from both Outlook and the Priv simultaneously, which I have manually re-input using the data that thankfully remains on the Torch.
    My objective, using my traditional gmail account, is simply to have Outlook, DejaOffice and Priv (Droid native account?) contain identical information, in the same Outlook categories/groups I have traditionally used, and to be able to have changes made in any of those areas reflected in the other areas by syncing via USB Ė without creating duplicates. If it could all be reflected in Blackberry Hub, I would consider that to be the icing on the cake.

Any assistance would be gratefully received. When I can function well at this basic level, I will then hopefully be able to begin to appreciate all that Deja Office has to offer.
    Thank you.

Your device is such a unique situation that I'm not sure I can be of any help. However, one bit of advice. Before doing anything, if you have Outlook restored to how you want things, export your pims to pst files that can be easily restored if things mess up.

In the following few starting pieces of advice, I'm assuming that your phone acts like any other Android phone (which might be wrong) and that it probably has Android 5.x (lollipop). If I'm wrong, especially about the former assumption, all bets are off.

Now, first a few comments about your "gmail" account. You of course log into your phone with your gmail credentials. However, you should go into settings, accounts, Google and turn off both Calendar and Contact syncing as this is the surest way to get duplicates.

Next, open DejaOffice and go to Settings > Sync Settings. You want to have "Sync with Android Contacts App" checked and "Sync with Android Calendar App" unchecked.

Then, in Companion Link (I'm using version 7, but if you have 6 I think it's similar), open it up and pull down the options menu. Check "Reread Outlook data on next sync" (again, assuming Outlook now has the correct data) and also "Wipe Android Data on Next Sync." Both of these settings will reset themselves after the next sync. Now Sync (this should result in no changes to Outlook, but you have the backups in case).

Now, and here it gets tricky because I have no idea what the Priv's native Android apps look like. Open the native Contacts App. If it is like the normal Android native contacts app, there should be a menu (usually a stack of 3 dots indicate a menu, sometimes 3 parallel lines). On that menu, select "Contacts to Display." Select the radio button for Deja Office and return to your home screen.

If all has gone well and the Priv is like any other Android phone, you should have your basics set up. Deja Office should have your Outlook data. The phone should use the Deja Office contact data for caller ID. And you shouldn't have duplicates. See if this works out. If not, I suggest on Monday, after the holiday, you either call or email support and have them work closely with you (they are very helpful).

The reason for the sync with Contacts but not with Calendar is that the Android native calendar database is, well, terrible and very limited. It syncs fine with Google Calendar, but can't handle what Outlook can do and will mess up your data. Your calendar data will be in DejaOffice. Ignore the Android Calendar app.

This is just a 25 cent introduction to get you started from a user who has a very different setup, but I'm hoping it can get you started since it is a Holiday weekend. Notice the people here who have a lot of their hardware and software information in their signature. That's good to do because all of that information is relevant in troubleshooting and if it is in your signature it is always visible.

Welcome to the DejaOffice Forums, by the way and Happy New Year.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Thanks for your prompt & helpful reply - your explanations are very much appreciated.

All went well; however, when I got to the ''tricky part'', there was no menu in Contacts that showed ''contacts to display''; what did show up were a list of accounts (probably the wrong term). I selected DejaOffice and now get the message ''DejaOffice could not locate your database'' and three options: i) try again ii) restore a backup and iii) create a new database. I cannot get past this screen when I try to open DejaOffice.
    I am reluctant to try either option ii) or iii) as neither seems applicable; I have obviously made the wrong choices in Contacts. The sync went fine and I'm thinking therefore that my Outlook data is in D.O. - I just have to figure out how to get to it.

Failing that, and if nothing is obvious to you, I will contact support on Monday.

Again, my sincere thanks.
    GCC
    Blackberry Priv (Android 5.1.1)
    Windows 7
    Outlook 2013
    Companion Link 7

The Accounts selection Just shows you the Accounts that are available for Contacts to use (I would guess yours would show DejaOffice, Google and maybe an Exchange account app). You don't really do much there (you can turn on anf off syncing, but that is better managed by the apps the accounts represent). If you turned on syncing for DejaOffice try turning that back off.

If you can't get rid of that prompt in Deja office, do ii and see what you end up with. If it isn't what you want, try doing the same Outlook overwrites Android sync I told you to do before. I hope you don't have to do that too often, but that is always your recovery plan wile you are experimenting. ;-)

After you do it, open Deja Office and see if you have everything you wanted from Outlook. Then try the "Read Android Data" icon. If you have sync with Android calendar unchecked in sync settings, this should in effect sync your contacts with the Android contacts data base (the icon is mislabeled). Usually doing a Outlook overwrites Android sync pushes the contacts to the Android database, but it may not be happening in your case. I think that's what "Read Android Data" will do, but I don't use it a lot and don't fully understand the function.

After doing this, see, first, if you have the contacts when you open up the Android contacts app (you may have more and you may have duplicates, don't worry about that for the moment). If so, does your menu now offer contacts to display?

What we're trying to accomplish here is, though you will use DejaContacts for working with your contacts and maybe even making calls or texts, the Android caller ID goes through the default Android database so we want it to use the DejaOffice account.

Give what I suggested a try and we'll see where we are. Maybe someone else will stop by with ideas.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Sorry for the delayed response - seems life's demands don't cease just because I'm trying to sort this out!

Thanks for your updated guidance, which is again appreciated; I'm now at the point where a calendar entry in Outlook syncs to DejaOffice, and vice versa. A Contact entry in DJO syncs to Outlook, but an Outlook contact entry does not show up in DJO.

I need to understand why & will contact support for their assistance (certainly no refection on you); I will let you know how I make out.
    GCC
    Windows 7
    Outlook 2013
    Companion Link 7

I was contacted by Support & we successfully synced contacts - not exactly sure what triggered success, but it now seems to be working.

This is a major step from my perspective, and you have my gratitude!

Thank You.
    GCC
    Windows 7
    Outlook 2013
    Companion Link 7

Glad to hear they were able to work it out for you. I figured they would. I'm just another user with some experience I can try to draw on but not your setup. I'm happy if what I said helped in some small way. Thanks for letting us know the result.

+ Reply to Thread