+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What happened to the widgets??

Question What happened to the widgets??

I've recently had some some problems with syncing between my PC and my Galaxy S7Edge (support ticket DDJ-835-45422). I think these have been worked out although the sync process is not as as simple as it was with the S5. DJOCTO was only partially correct when posting that the problem was resolved.

But now there seems to be another concern. Until just recently (the last day or two) I've had a widget on one of my screens displaying "DejaToday" with 3 days showing at a glance. Now I cannot find it when I look among the possible widgets. The only thing that shows up is a CompanionLink widget which when tapped shows a selection of shortcuts that can be shown on the screen.

Have I missed something?

I'm really sorry I didn't get a chance to spend more time when I stopped into your offices last month. I'd have loved to meet DJOCTO!
    Last edited by RJLOMMD; 10-03-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    Mobile Device and OS: Samsung GALAXY S9+ SM-G965U for Verizon [03/18/16] Android version 8 (Oreo)
    DejaOffice version# 4.4.9 (1076)
    CompanionLink for Outlook 8 (build 8004) downloaded & installed 10/31/2017 on WINDOWS 10 Pro
    Data Manager App Outlook (Office 365)
    Sync Method with CompanionLink: ADB Mode
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Contact account: "Phone" Calendar account: rlevine.droid@gmail

Just checking the obvious are trying to access the widgets by tapping and holding the Android home screen and tapping the Widgets icon which pops up.

Widgets will disappear if you move DJO to the SD card. Widgets and shortcuts can only work if DJO is installed in system memory.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Cecil--thank you! That does explain why I no longer have the widget! I did move DJO to my SD card in part because of the problems I've been having recently with my sync process. Would I be best advised to move the app back to internal storage on the Galaxy S7 edge?

What's really weird is that my my problems seem to have begun shortly after upgrading to CL7 because of the problems I was having syncing with Office 2016. DJO with CL6 has worked wonderfully for me since 2012 (on a Droid RAZR Maxx and a Galaxy S5).
    Mobile Device and OS: Samsung GALAXY S9+ SM-G965U for Verizon [03/18/16] Android version 8 (Oreo)
    CompanionLink for Outlook 8 (build 8004) downloaded & installed 10/31/2017 on WINDOWS 10 Pro
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts and Calendar. - Contact account: "Phone" Calendar account: rlevine.droid@gmail

Definitely move your app to internal storage-- the data can stay on the SD card.

As for the differences in syncing, I suspect it isn't so much CL6 vs CL7, but rather changes in Android 6.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Thanks, Hook! I have done as you suggested and things seem to have improved. However, I am not sure how to leave the calendar, contact and memo data on the SD card while the app stuff is on the internal storage.

I have also noticed that the CL7 program often stops working on my Win10Pro (little blue circle going round and round ending with the message that the application has stopped working (Close it or wait).

But after a little messing around I can usually get a sync done.

Thanks Cecil and Hook again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLOMMD View Post
    Thanks, Hook! I have done as you suggested and things seem to have improved. However, I am not sure how to leave the calendar, contact and memo data on the SD card while the app stuff is on the internal storage.

I have also noticed that the CL7 program often stops working on my Win10Pro (little blue circle going round and round ending with the message that the application has stopped working (Close it or wait).

But after a little messing around I can usually get a sync done.

Thanks Cecil and Hook again for your help.
    I may have misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you had moved part of the program to the SD card (using "move to SD card" under settings -> apps. I think the widgets work if the clusb folder is on the SD card, but to be honest I have been using Nexus phones for so long, I'm not sure. I frankly recommend keeping everything including the clusb folder in internal memory. It eliminates a lot of problems and really doesn't use up a lot of space even with a lot of items.

Up to you, of course.
    Sadly, I can no longer use CL or DJO as I have replaced Outlook with Thunderbird and Pimlical Desktop. Pimlical, since moving to Java 8 is no longer compatible with Companion Link. I will lurk about just because I am interested. Please let me know if the Pimlical compatibility problem ever changes and thanks to all here for your support and help over the years. This is the best software for synching Outlook to Android.

Thanks again.

I have enough room in the internal memory, so I'll just leave the while thing there. Seems to be working.

Now just left with the volatility of CL7 on my Win10 PC.

On the CL 7 problem, I hate to ask because I'm sure you've already accounted for this, but I'll ask anyway. I don't know how Samsung is handling it, but in Android 6 & 7, when you connect to your computer via USB, Android defaults to charge only (it does this ignoring a setting you are allowed to make in settings). It will connect to the computer and may even show up as a device, but you won't be able to view internal memory or your SD card in Win Explorer. In stock ANdroid, you have to pull down the notification and tap it. It then brings up a menu of other possible connections. You need to select file transfer. You have to redo that every time. It does not remember the selection.

I don't know if Samsung made a modification to that stock Android behavior in Touchwiz or not. Just a thought.

Hook, you are once again correct! Actually since the Galaxy S5 I have had to change the USB selection from Charge only to "File Transfer" or "MTP" I think it was on the S5. Still having some interesting glitches with the sync. Seems like I have to disconnect everything and close the CL program and then reconnect everything before the oblong window saying "Reading Android (or Outlook) calendar, contacts, notes" appears with the green moving progress bar.

+ Reply to Thread