Thread: Set up lots of categories in DJO, it doesn't retain the associations for contacts

Set up lots of categories in DJO, it doesn't retain the associations for contacts

Again as a new user who really uses the categories in my old Palm TX and desktop - I set up categories in DJO to match what I've used in the TX, and started associating them in contacts. They stayed for a while, even after rebooting or shutting down/restarting the phone.

But now (the next day) when I look at my contacts again, or edit one, the only choice of categories to display is No category, plus Select None and Select All at the bottom. If I go to the main menu for categories and re-associate some with contacts, then only those few that I did are available.

I don't want to go through my 15 categories of contacts again to re-associate them until I'm sure they will stick. I'm doing this from Home, Categories, select one (which goes into edit mode for that category), scroll down to the last section "Use this category with the following applications", then check whichever of the 6 I want and tap the check in the upper right corner to save. (The 6 choices there are Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Journal, and Expense.)

If it makes a difference, I used one color each for all my contacts, tasks and memos categories, and different colors for each calendar category.

Is this normal, am I doing something wrong, or what is happening?

Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1; DJO 4.1.7 build 925; CL 7030
    Win10 x64, AU update; PalmDesktop 4.2 (running in compatibility mode for Windows XP)
    Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Sync settings - both ways; not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Could it be because I put a few contacts into two categories in DJO, while in Palm DT I can assign only one to each person?

Hi marjoryb98,

Your Palm Desktop Categories should sync automatically. Try deleting the categories from DejaOffice (long press a category and select the delete option that pops up) then perform a reread of of Palm Desktop in CompanionLink via the Options menu.

https://www.companionlink.com/suppor...rming_a_Reread

The individual contacts still know which category they belong to. They all are on the list when I choose Select all, even though the only choice there is No category.

Okay, I deleted just one category in DJO, synced as you said with rereading Palm DT, and all the other categories are now on the list. The 7 items that were in the deleted category now have no category, and they also are now in the unfiled category in Palm DT. Maybe that's because I also had it sync both ways.
    Pause
    Got it back finally - edited them in Palm, did another sync, this time with reread Palm and sync Palm to Android. Will see if it sticks this time. Before it was good a day or so before they disappeared. I rarely make changes in contacts, but will keep track of anything that I might do for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion (and very glad I didn't have to delete and recreate all 15 contacts categories).