Thread: Alert when item is changed differently in both DJO and computer?

Alert when item is changed differently in both DJO and computer?

Sometimes I would unintentionally change a calendar (or other) item in both my Palm TX and Palm Desktop. When I synced them I got an alert about it and could read what it was in the hot sync log. Is there anything comparable in DejaOffice/Android sync?

I did a little test, entering one calendar item in PDT, syncing, then changing it differently in both. After syncing, only the PDT version remained. I also tried writing an item in DJO first, and got the same result - the change made in PDT is in both and the other is gone.

I have all 4 apps syncing both ways, and records deleted in either will be synced. I don't want to sync one way only, as I regularly make changes in both. Any suggestions?

**Migrating from Palm TX to phone with DJO
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1; DJO 4.1.7 build 925; CL 7030
    Win10 x64, AU update; PalmDesktop 4.2 (running in compatibility mode for Windows XP)
    Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Sync settings - both ways; not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Anyone know about this - getting an alert if I make different changes to one calendar item in the phone and the computer, the next time they are synced?

In CompanionLink, you can decide which side will win. Go into CompanionLink settings and select the "Applications" tab. That will let you choose whether the PC wins or he Phone Wins. If you use Outlook you can choose the later change, but Palm Desktop does not store last modified dates.

Palm Sync had a number of popups and systems that we don't feel are a positive experience. Their concept of doubling a record in case of a conflict causes a dupe. Their idea of a popup every time you sync is superseded by systems that auto-sync where a popup is not needed.

Palm went out of business. You can see our ode to Palm here: https://www.companionlink.com/palm/

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    In CompanionLink, you can decide which side will win. Go into CompanionLink settings and select the "Applications" tab. That will let you choose whether the PC wins or he Phone Wins. If you use Outlook you can choose the later change, but Palm Desktop does not store last modified dates.

Palm Sync had a number of popups and systems that we don't feel are a positive experience. Their concept of doubling a record in case of a conflict causes a dupe. Their idea of a popup every time you sync is superseded by systems that auto-sync where a popup is not needed.
    I was used to the occasional duplicates, and could track them down and do what I needed to consolidate them. I don't always make changes on just one side. Lots of times it's easier to type in changes on the computer, but other times I update things on the phone. So, it doesn't seems as though choosing one side to win will work. Now I'm trying to sync them more often, particularly when I come back to the computer and before I start making changes there.

Maybe I'm not understanding the 3 sync choices - both ways, Palm to Android, and Android to Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Palm went out of business. You can see our ode to Palm here: https://www.companionlink.com/palm/
    Quite a history! I got my first Palm, IIIxe I think, in December 1999. Kind of a pain, as if the AAA batteries died all the data was lost, and I was using rechargeables. Anyway, I updated to a TX in 2006 for the WiFi and color screen. Then when I got the smart phone I wanted to get everything moved to it so I wasn't carrying two devices, and was very happy to find DejaOffice and Companion Link. Just having growing pains learning some new way of doing things.

Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1; DJO 4.2.3 build 947; CL 7030
    Win10 x64, AU update; PalmDesktop 4.2 (running in compatibility mode for Windows XP)
    Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Sync settings - both ways; not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Thanks for the note Marjorie. I was fortunate enough to be "in the room" with Jeff and Donna shortly after the first release of the Palm in 1996. Due to continued work closely with them, I got to know the innards very well, and also hear first-hand from the developers about why and how it came to be.

I wish I could say "I told you so" worked. I remember a quite heated session with the PIM product manager of the webOS team in about 2008, a year before webOS went public. I told her that webOS would be a failure if they didn't do the Contacts and Calendar "the Palm way". Instead the webOS team chose to follow Apple in their field selection and left out categories, and created Contacts and Calendar that were incompatible with Palm devices. The rest is history.

Years ago (feels like ages, just after semiconductors were discovered ), I used Puma's Intellisync. Whenever there was a conflict it showed up a dialog which field to keep from which source.
    I'm using DJO and CL for years now, and it's the best available. However, the way Intellisync handled, or better did let the user handle syncing conflicts was by far the best I've ever seen.
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by McLion View Post
    Years ago (feels like ages, just after semiconductors were discovered ), I used Puma's Intellisync. Whenever there was a conflict it showed up a dialog which field to keep from which source.
    I'm using DJO and CL for years now, and it's the best available. However, the way Intellisync handled, or better did let the user handle syncing conflicts was by far the best I've ever seen.
    I forgotten about Intellisync!! I'm sure it was the first sync software I used. McLion we must have similar software histories.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1091) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1091)
    WiFiSync

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    I forgotten about Intellisync!! I'm sure it was the first sync software I used. McLion we must have similar software histories.
    Palm 3, Psion Revo, Windows Mobile and for the last few years Android
    Google Pixel, Android 9.0 German, DJO 4.4.9 (1076)
    Office: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, daily
    Home: Win10 x64, Outlook 365 (v2016, up to date) German, CL Express 7050 --- Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, occasionally
    Syncing to native Android contacts (DJO account), not syncing to native Android calendar

Quote Originally Posted by McLion View Post
    Palm 3, Psion Revo, Windows Mobile and for the last few years Android
    Palm 3, Palm Treo (I used call this my not dumb phone as it did not have enough power to call it smart!!) and then to Android.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 8.1.0
    DJO 4.4.11 (1091) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync

Lenovo Tab 4 8
    DJO 4.4.11(1091)
    WiFiSync