+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Syncing problem

Syncing problem

Since I got DJO and my Plam Desktop working together last fall, I've synced with local WiFi. Now I'm away from home for a while and need to do USB syncing (no WiFi available). When I tried it today, I was surprised that it was reading every contact, calendar item, etc. Then dismayed to find that afterwards DJO had lost all my customized categories and their colors in alarms, and then all my data was gone in calendar, tasks and contacts! Before doing the USB sync, I had backed up DJO by copying the entire clusb folder to my computer, and also copied my entire Palm folder to a safe place. I finally got DJO back on track by copying the companionlink.db file back to the folder in the phone.

I had set up CL for USB syncing but left all my other settings as they were. When I tapped Sync in DJO it told me to start it from the computer, so I did. It also had asked if I wanted to sync the native phone contacts, which I did not want so I said no to that. The sync process happened, but the results were disastrous.

What did I do wrong/how can I get it to sync properly? It's a lot easier to edit and move around tasks and calendar item in Palm Desktop then in the phone, so I really need to get the two working together with the USB sync.

================================================== =
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level Apr. 1, 2017)
    DJO 4.3.2 build 990; CL 7030
    Win10 x64, AU update; PalmDesktop 4.2 (running in compatibility mode for Windows XP)

Past syncing:
    Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Sync settings - both ways; not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Any suggestions? I also submitted a support ticket the morning of 5/21 and haven't heard anything yet.

Looking at this differently - is it feasible to switch methods of syncing regularly, in my case between local WiFi and direct USB?

Or does doing that confuse the two platforms (phone and Palm Desktop in the computer)?

Should not be a problem. I use Companionlink Express to sync my tablet and phone. Currently I use wi-fi for both syncs. With my previous phone my preference was to use USB for the phone and wi-fi for the tablet.

It is relatively easy to swap back and forward but you do need​ to set up your device and Companionlink each time you swap.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Should not be a problem. I use Companionlink Express to sync my tablet and phone. Currently I use wi-fi for both syncs. With my previous phone my preference was to use USB for the phone and wi-fi for the tablet.

It is relatively easy to swap back and forward but you do need​ to set up your device and Companionlink each time you swap.
    That's a big help! Now, what did I do wrong that wiped out everything in the phone? I left the advanced application settings the way they were for WiFi syncing - calendar, tasks, contacts and memos syncing both ways, not wiping Android before sync, and records deleted in either to be synced.
    Still set to sync with Android, and changed the "with" to direct USB.
    Then, it told me to sync from the phone. When I did that, it asked me if I wanted to sync native Android contacts (twice I think) and I said no each time.
    ***Then, as I said above, I could see that it was going through every item in each of the 4 categories, where usually it only displays the changed ones that it is rewriting. When done, I had lost all my calendar, contacts and other parts, plus losing the categories I had set up to match the Palm.
    With all that, I can't see what I could have changed in my procedure.

PS - what do you mean, saying Companionlink Express? What I'm using is CL for Palm, though the top of the dialog says it's for Outlook

CL Express allows you to sync with 2 different devices.

DJO holds a number of backups in the CLUSB folder. If you a file management app you can check what is available. I have just checked my tablet and there is backups for the last 5 days.

This link:-

https://www.companionlink.com/blog/2...th-dejaoffice/

gives details on how to restore a backup.

Hope this helps.
    Cecil

ACT 16
    USB Sync

DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

I did know about the file(s) to back up from some other conversation here, and that's how I rescued/restored my data on the phone last weekend. My phone also has the last 5 days of backups. I only need to sync between the phone and the computer.

I'm still amazed that I haven't gotten a reply to my support ticket request. The other time(s) I've needed help I got a reply very quickly. I think I'll do it again, in case I entered something wrong.

Just to check that you got the auto-reply to your support request?
    Cecil

ACT 16
    USB Sync

DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Just to check that you got the auto-reply to your support request?
    Yes - had a good phone call with support and got it working for a while. Still have some things to work out with him. Support has been extra busy recently which is why I didn't hear from them sooner.

Good to hear that you are making progress. I suppose the team is quite small and​it is easy for them to be a little behind.

My experiences with DJO support have generally been good, dealing gently with me when the problem has been my fault and working diligently to resolve the rest. Occasionally there have been delays like the one you experienced. As I am in the UK all my support has been by email.
    Cecil

ACT 16
    USB Sync

DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync

+ Reply to Thread