+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sync acting up today

Sync acting up today

I don't know if this is due to a recent update in my phone - the security patch went from the July 1 level to August 1. It updated this Wednesday or Thursday. After that my syncing was fine until this morning (Saturday). I had made various changes on the phone, and only moved some calendar items in Palm DT and changed some dates in Tasks. I did all the usual steps to do a USB sync, and the Sync status box never appeared in DJO. The phone stayed on the initial status message about hitting OK when done. Eventually I turned off File Transfer in the phone and closed DJO there. At that point the Sync status box popped up in CL and it started reading every item in all four parts (Tasks, Calendar, etc). When that was done, PDT was back where it had been this morning, with all my changes undone. After a few back and forths and restarts, it still didn't run the usual way. Made a few changes in PDT and synced again; I still didn't get the usual sequence of status messages, but the changes did show up in the phone. I'm going to shut both off for a while, and then give it another try later.

Anyone else having sudden/recent problems syncing?

================================================== =
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level August 1, 2017)
    DJO 4.3.6, build 1002; CL 7044
    Win10 x64, Creator update, v 1703; PalmDesktop 4.2

USB sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

It finally synced last night and I let it rest. Today it got stalled and did odd things again, then eventually I did get a good sync.

One thing I wondered about - I had quite a few alarms in the notifications, calendar items that were past due. Could that be causing it to stall?

I think that alarms can cause problems. I find that if I compete items in DJO I can get duplicate items in my calendar. My work around is to dismiss alarms when I have finished an item. Before a sync, I make sure that all alarms are dismissed or snoozed in DJO.

I open Act before I sync. I wait until Act brings up all the outstanding alarms and then complete all finished items in Act and snooze any outstanding ones before I sync. I find that this gives the most reliable sync. It might be worth trying something similar with PDT. It is a long time since I used PDT so can't remember quite how it works.

Try clearing or snoozing alarms in DJO and PDT before your next sync to see if that helps.
    Cecil

Motorola Moto G5 Android 7.0
    DJO 4.3.6 (1005) Companionlink 7 (7046)
    ACT 16
    USB Sync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Tesco Hudl2 (Android 5.1)
    DJO 4.3.6(1002)
    WiFiSync
    Syncs to Android Contacts App only

Thanks for the suggestions! It did sync fine this morning with no pending alarms. My habits don't help with this - I keep a lot of calendar items with alarms and move them forward when done, lots of little daily reminders. When I used the Palm PDAs, I could "dismiss" (don't remember the wording right now) an alarm and it would turn it off for that day and then work again when I moved to item to another day. With DJO and the phone, dismiss completely turns off the alarm setting.

I'll keep an eye on the alarms - I was just doing Clear in the notifications instead of snoozing each one, so the snooze option should help. (Also doing what I had it reminding me about, so I can just move it forward!)

Followup - thanks again for the help with the alarms. It's been fine the past few days (fingers crossed)

Daarn, it was working well for a while, then a couple of days ago it got tangled up again - an alarm beeped just as I was tapping Sync on the phone. The CLO never started the Sync status box, and eventually I cancelled it on both sides. Then it took a while to get them working together, and all the changes I had made in Palm DT went away (moving calendar items to new dates) and I had to redo them. All was fine for 2 days, then it happened again. Started Sync in the phone and CLO never reacted.

================================================== =
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level August 1, 2017)
    DJO 4.3.6, build 1002; CL 7044
    Win10 x64, Creator update, v 1703; PalmDesktop 4.2

USB sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Marjorie, I sent this to Tech Support: support@dejaoffice.com. They'll reach out to help you out.

I'd like to get you on a sync method that is dependable. Would you consider using DejaCloud sync rather than USB?

I did hear from them, and they suggested the cloud. I wrote this back -
    Unfortunately I cannot use the cloud because in the summer I'm in an area with limited internet access 5 days per week. The only WiFi available is when I use my phone to make a mobile hotspot for the computer, and that's marginal since the best I can get is a 3G signal.
    Last winter I was doing fine doing WiFi syncs at home between the phone and computer, but in the summer I need to do it with USB. We'll be just at home in November and then I can set this problem aside until next spring.
    I really want to make it work, because I tend to make changes on both the phone and computer (not particularly the same items). It's a lot faster to edit or just move calendar and task items on the computer.

Marjory,

Those are good reasons.

With a samsung phone it is required that you disconnect after each USB Sync. Are you doing this?

Chris will call you Monday to go over steps.

Wayland

Yes, I always disconnect before answering the other messages - I think it was Chris who helped me get it working last May-June. I'm trying to also restart the phone and close PDT and CLO between syncs. Yesterday, carefully making changes on only one side, then syncing only one way from that side got them caught up.

+ Reply to Thread