+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about alarms in calendar, and syncing

Question about alarms in calendar, and syncing

I just noticed something that seems odd. This occurred when I synced as usual (over WiFi now). For the item that I noticed, it had been at the same time in both Deja Office and Palm desktop - both had same time and the alarm on. During the day I dismissed the alarm in DJO in the notification, as opposed to editing and changing it to no alarm; when I later open it to edit, it does show no alarm. Then I moved the item in Palm to a different time.
    After syncing the two, they were both at the new time but the item in DJO still had the alarm turned off. I synced again and they still disagreed about the alarm (the times do agree). Then one more try - moved it in DJO to a new time without alarm; synced and it moved in Palm and it still has the alarm on.

So, is there some protocol about which side is dominant about alarms? Is dismissing an alarm different from editing the item and changing an alarm from so many minutes to no alarm? As far as I know, when I've made those changes in DJO by editing an item, it does agree in Palm afterwards.

10/30/17
    ================================================== =
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level August 1, 2017)
    DJO 4.3.6, build 1002; CL 7050
    Win10 x64, Fall Creator update, v 1709; PalmDesktop 4.2

Local WiFi sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

From my developer:

> There is a "Synchronize Alarms" setting in CL (Calendar tab). If the user turned this off, CL won't change the alarm during the sync. Could be why the alarm changes aren't happening.

No, it's checked, and as far as I know it always has been.

In DJO in the phone, in alarm settings in the Alarm tab, there's a check box for "Adjust for incorrect alarm times." What is that supposed to do?

When I have a chance, I'll try to do some controlled testing. As I said above -
    So, is there some protocol about which side is dominant about alarms? Is dismissing an alarm different from editing the item and changing an alarm from so many minutes to no alarm? As far as I know, when I've made those changes in DJO by editing an item, it does agree in Palm afterwards.

> In DJO in the phone, in alarm settings in the Alarm tab, there's a check box for "Adjust for incorrect alarm times." What is that supposed to do?

Don't do that. It was put in for Android 4 - there was an OS bug for a while. At this point, it is never needed and it can cause some strange results.

The issue that your are seeing is AlarmStatus on a calendar record. When an alarm rings, it changes AlarmStatus. This is a -Change- to the record. If you also change the record on the PC, then there is a change on both sides. So it uses your Primary Database rule (a setting) to decide what to do. Finally, alarms on recurring records present a special circumstance, since the alarm on the current instance is rung, so it moves the alarm to the next instance. So when you test, be sure to test single instance appointments, and recurring appointments, separately.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    > In DJO in the phone, in alarm settings in the Alarm tab, there's a check box for "Adjust for incorrect alarm times." What is that supposed to do?
    Don't do that. It was put in for Android 4 - there was an OS bug for a while. At this point, it is never needed and it can cause some strange results.
    Okay - I won't do that!

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    The issue that your are seeing is AlarmStatus on a calendar record. When an alarm rings, it changes AlarmStatus. This is a -Change- to the record. If you also change the record on the PC, then there is a change on both sides. So it uses your Primary Database rule (a setting) to decide what to do. Finally, alarms on recurring records present a special circumstance, since the alarm on the current instance is rung, so it moves the alarm to the next instance. So when you test, be sure to test single instance appointments, and recurring appointments, separately.
    The only place I can find a Primary Database rule (a setting) is in CLO under settings for Palm Desktop, Applications tab, Deletions preferences. I generally keep that at Records in either Android or PDT will be synchronized. In this situation I'm not deleting a record, just making a change on one side. I haven't had a chance to test again, but mostly do not have alarms on recurring items.

+ Reply to Thread