Thread: Settings / Alarm Settings / Sound and Vibrate Settings / Silent on Android 8.1 Oreo

Question Settings / Alarm Settings / Sound and Vibrate Settings / Silent on Android 8.1 Oreo

Please explain in detail the implications of the following setting on Android 8.1 Oreo devices.
    Settings / Alarm Settings / Sound and Vibrate Settings / Silent

I ask this because on my Android 8.1 Oreo device Calendar and Task alarms go off as expected; but even if I set some sound for the "Silent" category in the Android 8.1 notification setting window, there will be no any sound. Furthermore, even if I turn on 'Vibrate' for this Silent Notification category, there will be no vibration when the alarm goes off in silent mode.
    So, what's the point of this setting?

Arpad, welcome back.

The Silent was simply expedient. Our main goal was to re target the build to Android OS, which we did. There were a number of unintended consequences. In order to roll functionality quickly we added the Silent to solve a programming problem. We will soon be able to remove it, but this will be in a planned release that goes through the beta process.

So it was just expediency.

Wayland