Thread: Syncing with Bluetooth?

Syncing with Bluetooth?

Does anyone here sync with Bluetooth, and are you satisfied with it?
    I found a page of instructions for it, but it was dated in 2014 so I'm wondering if it's still the same. I happened to find an option for in the settings in CLO, which is why I'm looking into it.
    https://www.companionlink.com/suppor..._via_Bluetooth

I haven't really used it with the phone, except pairing it with my car's audio.

===============================================
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level August 1, 2017), last system update Jan. 18, 2018
    DJO 4.4.8, build 1072; CL 7061.6
    Win10 x64, Fall Creator/April 2018 update, v 1803, last major update 5/24/18, last monthly update 6/14/18
    PalmDesktop 4.2

USB sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts

Marjorie,

Thanks for noting this.

I am really pushing the staff to suggest Bluetooth sync over Wi-Fi Sync.

At this time, all phones come with Bluetooth, and all Laptops come with Bluetooth. So if you don't want to use DejaCloud, then my opinion is Bluetooth is the next best option.

We have used Wi-Fi sync for local wireless for many years. However, as we come up in 2018, there are new consideration. First - Wi-Fi no longer works well when you travel. Most hotels and coffee shops now lock down their Wi-Fi so that it does not allow Ad-Hoc networks. That cuts of off from synchronizing. Nothing is more frustrating than landing in Tokyo, going to sync, and finding you can't sync probably for your whole trip.

So if anyone has comments on Bluetooth, let's hear them. I'd like to promote this option more. DejaCloud is still the best method, though, because both Phones and PC's "LOVE" the internet, so the internet sync seems to be smoothest for most people.

Two comments:
    1. A few days ago I was going to try Bluetooth, but couldn't find it in the DJO Settings/Sync Settings dropdown list. It only listed cloud, USB and Wifi. Just checked it again, and the full list of 6 choices is there. Very curious, since DJO shows as still being at 4.4.8, build 1072. Will try it soon, though I haven't been happy using BT to transfer photos.

2. My son had this suggestion, to create my own little off-line wifi -
    "I'd think you could use any old router to create the wifi network, just
    don't plug anything into the WAN port. I've done that to tie a tablet to
    a laptop that's running lighting control software, so I can run the
    lights wirelessly from the tablet. Very handy when you're up a ladder
    and need to adjust several lights, and don't have someone on the ground
    to push buttons for you."

I have an old router, and will see what it can do. My uncommon situation is that in the summer I'm essentially beyond the internet world most of the time. I use a data link on the phone to make a mobile hotspot/wifi for the computer, but I don't think the phone would also let me sync DJO/CLO while that is running. Or would it?
    And that's why DejaCloud isn't a feasible option for me. I do have USB sync working well again after some recent help from your nice support folks. One of them mentioned that Android changes are gradually making USB more difficult to work with.

Following up, I've been using Bluetooth sync for the past few days, and it's generally fine. I'm following the instructions on this page -
    https://www.companionlink.com/suppor..._via_Bluetooth

Once in a while DJO thinks BT isn't active, so today I 'm trying it in the order of the instructions - turn it on in the phone first, then the computer. And since I don't use it otherwise, I'm turning it off in between syncs. Regardless of this, it's a WHOLE lot easier than doing a USB sync.

Also, I found the discrepancy I mentioned before, that I couldn't find Bluetooth in the DJO Settings/Sync Settings dropdown list, as it only listed cloud, USB and Wifi. Actually, it is there in Settings/Sync Settings. The difference is when I do the Setup Wizard - there it only has 3 options, but if I just do Next on that page the next one talks about BT Sync.

So, for now I'll update my device info
    Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1 (security patch level August 1, 2017), last system update Jan. 18, 2018
    Win10 x64, Fall Creator/April 2018 update, v 1803, last major update 5/24/18, last monthly update 6/14/18
    PalmDesktop 4.2

Bluetooth sync --- manual syncing, as needed
    Last edited by marjoryb98; 07-11-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: adding an update

As soon as I posted the above, I absolutely could not get them to sync. CLO kept saying that there was no BT available (or something of the sort) while I was looking at both sides which definitely had it turned on. Maybe there's something I don't know to look for to show that they are connected? Both say they are paired with the other.
    Since then, I restarted the phone and closed everything in the computer and did my usual backup there. And let it all rest a while. Then I did get a sync to work again. I don't think I need support for this, just needed to let both sides clear the cobwebs for a while. And DJO is still at build 1072.

One more comment/observation - this morning they still refused to work together, even though both had BT on (and I had turned it off and on multiple times). Aha moment, I unpaired them in the phone and then had it pair again. Result, at least I got the one sync that I needed to do, and they agree for the day. That's a pretty quick thing to have to do occasionally. With both devices in front of me, I can quickly verify that the code between them is correct.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Marjory,

Thank you for your report. We will get Bluetooth Added to the setup wizard menu. For connection issues, as you just noted, the best step it to Repair the device. This is the best troubleshooting step for a Bluetooth sync. https://www.companionlink.com/suppor..._via_Bluetooth

Yes, and it's pretty quick to unpair from the phone and then pair again from it, while Bluetooth setup is open in the computer so I can see the code I need to acknowledge. Sometimes even when they are paired, it takes maybe 20-30 seconds before the sync starts. The Sync Status box in CLO stays on Connecting.... for quite a while, but as long as that appears they do connect eventually.

Now that I've worked with it for a while, I definitely prefer the BT sync to USB. But when I'm home in the winter I'll use WiFi again - that's the easiest, as it's always on in the house.

Win10 x64, Fall Creator/April 2018 update, v 1803, last major update 5/24/18, last monthly update 7/12/18
    PalmDesktop 4.2

Bluetooth sync --- manual syncing, as needed