Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: DejaOffice constantly hanging for the last few months - anyone else?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    344

    DejaOffice constantly hanging for the last few months - anyone else?

    Hey folks...

    DejaOffice running on my 2 Sony Xperia phones (XZ1 Compact and XZ2 Compact) has been hanging constantly over the last few months.

    I go to open it, it just sits there and does nothing, and I have to force-close it.

    I open it, change a setting, hit "back" to return to the app, and it hangs, have to force-close it.

    I've reported this several times, but nobody has gotten back to me about it.

    DejaOffice support - can we work together to figure out what's happening here?

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  2. #2
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    Tim, hanging is not good. On both phones be sure you are on Build 1073 (just came out loast week I think).

    I don't see any reports in my system recently, but I think you use different emails. Email to support@companionlinnk.com and let's try to pick it up.

    Crashes are unusual, and I might be able to get them off the Play Console. That's our normal way to fix them.

    See if changing Sync to Manual fixes it. I'm thinking it is something on the router. A common problem is that routers and phones are dual band, so they end up switching bands while we are checking in our synchronizing. The fix is to set the router to only use one band (2.4 or 5ghz) and that fixes it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    344
    Hey Mr CTO :-)

    I've reported them a few times using the "Report" link; that would use my gmail account, t***@gmail.com - do you see anything of value from that?

    I'll email support (using my personal email) and we'll go from there. I am using your last non-beta version, 1072. Are you saying I should be using the beta version?

    The hanging doesn't happen during synchronization (and I'm already using manual sync), it happens when just opening the app, or navigating within the app; nothing to do with the network (unless the app is trying to open a network connection for some reason; I'm not doing anything that would need it when it hangs).

    - Tim

    Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Tim, hanging is not good. On both phones be sure you are on Build 1073 (just came out loast week I think).

    I don't see any reports in my system recently, but I think you use different emails. Email to support@companionlinnk.com and let's try to pick it up.

    Crashes are unusual, and I might be able to get them off the Play Console. That's our normal way to fix them.

    See if changing Sync to Manual fixes it. I'm thinking it is something on the router. A common problem is that routers and phones are dual band, so they end up switching bands while we are checking in our synchronizing. The fix is to set the router to only use one band (2.4 or 5ghz) and that fixes it.
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 07-06-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  4. #4
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    I think the beta version has more crash fixes. But it will be released shortly anyway.

    The "report" feature from Google goes somewhere, but I think that's in our console. We can look there.

    I see some old references to rolled tasks. Does it crash the first time you open in a day? Maybe it's related to a process that is run daily, like rolling the tasks...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    I think the beta version has more crash fixes. But it will be released shortly anyway.

    The "report" feature from Google goes somewhere, but I think that's in our console. We can look there.

    I see some old references to rolled tasks. Does it crash the first time you open in a day? Maybe it's related to a process that is run daily, like rolling the tasks...
    When the new version comes out I'll try it and see if I still get hangs.

    I don't recall if it hangs the first time I open it; the typical cycle is, when I notice it is hanging, I kill it, use it some more, then it hangs again, I kill it, use it some more, wash, rinse, repeat. This happens throughout the day.

    The references to rolled tasks was a different issue; I haven't been using that feature lately, so I don't know if it's still happening.

    - Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 07-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  6. #6
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    Something to try is to turn Wi-Fi sync to Manual, rather than automatic. The automatic Wi-Fi is going to negotiate with your router on a pretty steady schedule. If there are any issues with the router or the connection protocol (the router and the phone negotiate a speed and capability handshake) then this can cause "random" issues.

    This seems to be more common as routers get "smarter". DejaCloud Sync doesn't have this issue because it just uses the phone internet rather than creating and ad-hoc network. Some customers report good success with Bluetooth sync in lieu of Wi-Fi.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Something to try is to turn Wi-Fi sync to Manual, rather than automatic. The automatic Wi-Fi is going to negotiate with your router on a pretty steady schedule. If there are any issues with the router or the connection protocol (the router and the phone negotiate a speed and capability handshake) then this can cause "random" issues.

    This seems to be more common as routers get "smarter". DejaCloud Sync doesn't have this issue because it just uses the phone internet rather than creating and ad-hoc network. Some customers report good success with Bluetooth sync in lieu of Wi-Fi.
    Um... I think you're misreading something - this has absolutely NOTHING to do with syncing. This doesn't happen when I'm syncing; this happens ANYWHERE, not every time but pretty frequently, when I open the app or do operations on it. I may or may not be connected to my home network, I may or may not be in Airplane Mode on my phone - it's got NOTHING to do with syncing.

    Why do you keep bringing up syncing? (and for what it's worth, I mention above that I only sync manually).

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  8. #8
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    I'm looking for a condition that would last for "a few months"; that is, between March 1 and July 1, 2018.

    During that time DejaOffice for Android has undergone a complete tool-chain revamp. It used to target Android 6, but now the target is Android 8. But I presume the behavior is unchanged.

    During that time we have done Crash Reports from Google Play (Google collects crash reports) about three times. And the behavior is unchanged.

    I have Wi-Fi on my brain because it's fairly common. Sorry about that.

    Presumably there is something in the data set that is causing some sort of loop or crashy behavior. We're just about to sweep again for Crashes as reported by Google. Maybe that will clear it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    I'm looking for a condition that would last for "a few months"; that is, between March 1 and July 1, 2018.

    During that time DejaOffice for Android has undergone a complete tool-chain revamp. It used to target Android 6, but now the target is Android 8. But I presume the behavior is unchanged.

    During that time we have done Crash Reports from Google Play (Google collects crash reports) about three times. And the behavior is unchanged.

    I have Wi-Fi on my brain because it's fairly common. Sorry about that.

    Presumably there is something in the data set that is causing some sort of loop or crashy behavior. We're just about to sweep again for Crashes as reported by Google. Maybe that will clear it.
    Glad we got that sorted out :-)

    When it hangs, it doesn't always present me with the option for a crash report. It just hangs forever, and Android doesn't give me a popup asking if I want to kill it.

    I'm thinking that perhaps I should enable logging, then use the app several times to trigger the condition, wait a few minutes, then force-kill it, then send you the log. Will that be of help, do you think?

    - Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

  10. #10
    Senior Member DJOCTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,299
    I've never liked the Android OS hang. But what we see on the console is a pretty complete crash report that is sent automatically with anonymized info. That's why I know that not very many instances are crashing. It's usually like 10 a day or so (out of 40k users).

    Still, we do get the reports and we are overdue to fix them. I'll be sure something goes out this week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •