Thread: Usability of the template selection scrren

Usability of the template selection scrren

Templates in DO are very important to me. Its the easiest way to simply add new tasks or events with a given category or with a standard text.
    I usually start a template from the DejaToday Homescreen widget with the "+"-Button.

The problem I see is the limited space on the template selection screen. Unfortunately here it's not possible to change the font size. Moreover it could look better when have buttons instead of text lines.

Greetings, halweg
    Samsung Galaxy Note IV, Android 6.01, Outlook 2010 German, Windows 7,WiFi sync

Halweg, thanks for the note.

How many templates do you have showing? We'll work on optimizing this display.

As we move to introduce DejaOffice PC, templates are a key part of our offering. Look for some good updates here this fall.

https://www.companionlink.com/dpcx-opt-in.php

Wayland

I use 11 task templates. More are not to be shown without scrolling. The font size is very big in my Note 4

Concerning DejaOffice PC: Thanks for this information.
    Id'like it more to have more Outlook features inside Android DO (like rtf or html notes for items) than an Outlook becoming unstable by complex AddOns.
    But yes: Outlook could be done better. So for instance I added (with VBA and VBS) a link system that allows hyperlinks to any Outlook items (E-Mail, contact, task, event, journal entry) from inside any item notes as well as from file system. Moreover I added event procedures for automatic categories based on subject text. And much more. I'm a power user of the Outlook journal too.

Concerning the new name: Since there is the name "DejaOffice" and this name actually means "DejaOffice for Android" or "DejaOffice for iPhone" (contextually) a new name "DejaOffice PC" makes it necessary to change all mentions "DejaOffice" to "DejaOffice for Android". This would lead to miss understandings. So DejaDesktop would be a better name.

Quote Originally Posted by halweg View Post
    I use 11 task templates. More are not to be shown without scrolling. The font size is very big in my Note 4
    We looked at this. We'll work on the font size. I think we'll make the second line font smaller, which will allow more items to show.

Concerning DejaOffice PC: Thanks for this information.
    Id'like it more to have more Outlook features inside Android DO (like rtf or html notes for items)
    This has been top of our list all of 2018. It will come out soon. The issue is that Android cannot do RTF, only html, so we need an RTF to HTML converter for Outlook 2013 and lower. Also, the sync system has to fluidly go between the two formats. The longer we wait the easier it gets as older systems are used less and we get pushed into an HTML/Text system (So Outlook 2013 and lower would not get the benefit of the feature).

than an Outlook becoming unstable by complex AddOns.
    Our Outlook Add-In will be Java based, not VSTO based. The new Java library is more stable. Also runs only on OL2016 and higher...

Concerning the new name: Since there is the name "DejaOffice" and this name actually means "DejaOffice for Android" or "DejaOffice for iPhone" (contextually) a new name "DejaOffice PC" makes it necessary to change all mentions "DejaOffice" to "DejaOffice for Android". This would lead to miss understandings. So DejaDesktop would be a better name.
    Great comments here. I thought about it a while. But our primary target is not the single user (PIM user). And we are not just doing a Palm Desktop workalike. My goal is to make a system that is facile with Multi-User scheduling, Real contact management that shows all past history - appointments, emails, texts on the contact screen as well as future scheduled events and a note for next intentional activity. So "Office" to me conveys this business role much better than "Desktop".

I'm concerned for my staff also. When we get a call, people commonly say - "I'm having a problem with DejaOffice". We have to ask, "iPhone or Android?" Four years ago we had to ask "iPhone, Android, BlackBerry or Windows Phone". One year from now we'll have to ask "PC or iPhone or Android". By naming it "DejaOffice PC" I think we can train people to say that from the start.

Mostly, I think we'll just get used to it. If it takes off. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    This has been top of our list all of 2018. It will come out soon. The issue is that Android cannot do RTF, only html, so we need an RTF to HTML converter for Outlook 2013 and lower. Also, the sync system has to fluidly go between the two formats. The longer we wait the easier it gets as older systems are used less and we get pushed into an HTML/Text system (So Outlook 2013 and lower would not get the benefit of the feature).
    Office 2010 is important to me, as a power user I would miss some features in future versions (one of them is the easier license model).
    I use as far as I know html formatted notes inside Outlook. But yes complex sync of formatted notes between DO and Outlook in my case could do things worser.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    Our Outlook Add-In will be Java based, not VSTO based. The new Java library is more stable. Also runs only on OL2016 and higher...
    So I'll hope for backward compatibility and support. Especially I hope that in future I may still get updates and new features of DO (like saved views).

Greetings, Halweg