Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Migrate Settings to new phone

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63

    Migrate Settings to new phone

    Shortly changing my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for a new A9.

    Is there a way to migrate the settings? I use cloud to sync but assume that is only the data so the actual data is no problem.

    It's the settings, fonts etc to save going through setting them up to match.

    I assume the Logging & Support Backup option is just the data not the settings?

    Thanks, Paul
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy A9 (2018) SM-A920F with Android 8.0.0
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy Tab S2 TM-810 (32GB) with Android 7.0
    Companionlink 5.0 Build 5072 with Outlook 2003 Sp3 on Win 7 Pro Sp1
    Now syncing Via DejaCloud

  2. #2
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,407
    Paul,

    Copying out the CLUSB from the base drive of your old Android phone, then importing it into the new phone should do the trick, here are those steps:

    1. Connect your Old Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
    2. On your PC, open File Explorer or My Computer and browse to your Phone storage.
    3. In the internal\default storage find the CLUSB folder. Copy this entire folder to your Desktop.
    4. Install DejaOffice on the new phone and open it one to establish a database folder.
    5. Connect your New Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
    6. Copy the CLUSB folder from the old device into the same base internal\default storage on the new phone.

    Disconnect the USB and open DejaOffice on the new phone. You might need to Open it, tap Exit at the bottom and Reopen. It should retain all the data and settings.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63
    Thank you Thomas,

    I have already copied the CLUSB folder from the existing phone so will do as you say & copy this to the new one overwriting anything created by installing the app on the new phone.

    Very good news if this will also carry across all my settings, hopefully this will be ok as I am currently on 3.2.25(866) so a bit behind the current version


    Will update this thread with the results.

    Paul
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy A9 (2018) SM-A920F with Android 8.0.0
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy Tab S2 TM-810 (32GB) with Android 7.0
    Companionlink 5.0 Build 5072 with Outlook 2003 Sp3 on Win 7 Pro Sp1
    Now syncing Via DejaCloud

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    Thank you Thomas,

    I have already copied the CLUSB folder from the existing phone so will do as you say & copy this to the new one overwriting anything created by installing the app on the new phone.

    Very good news if this will also carry across all my settings, hopefully this will be ok as I am currently on 3.2.25(866) so a bit behind the current version


    Will update this thread with the results.

    Paul
    Oh I wish you started this thread three days ago. My phone is on its deathbed... So I bought a new one, and re-synced. Now I have four categories for every one, the colors are all facacte, etc. You'd think I would have learned over the years. But I forgot to copy CLUSB as my old phone dwindled from 5% life to 3% life... Doubtful I'll resuscitate now... In the words of Herman Munster, "Darn darn darn darn"

  5. #5
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,407
    Rj,

    We do have a function in DejaOffice if there are "unused categories" it will clean them up, try this:

    1. Open DejaOffice
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap Category Settings
    4. Select Clear Unused Categories. Select Do this for all, and tap Yes\Ok.

    Note this will only clear any categories that have no data in them, if there is a record in anywhere in the database in the category it will skip it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Rj,

    We do have a function in DejaOffice if there are "unused categories" it will clean them up, try this:

    1. Open DejaOffice
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap Category Settings
    4. Select Clear Unused Categories. Select Do this for all, and tap Yes\Ok.

    Note this will only clear any categories that have no data in them, if there is a record in anywhere in the database in the category it will skip it.
    This has happened before. I think it creates, for example, "Contacts/Travel", "Calendar/Travel", "Tasks/Travel", "Memos/Travel", and I have to reconcile them.

    I just resuscitated my old phone long enough to move the CLUSB directory over and got a "Invalid Database" message... (ETA - Uninstalled and did it all over and it worked super-groovy. Thanks).
    Last edited by rjbinney; 11-23-2018 at 01:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Paul,

    Copying out the CLUSB from the base drive of your old Android phone, then importing it into the new phone should do the trick, here are those steps:

    1. Connect your Old Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
    2. On your PC, open File Explorer or My Computer and browse to your Phone storage.
    3. In the internal\default storage find the CLUSB folder. Copy this entire folder to your Desktop.
    4. Install DejaOffice on the new phone and open it one to establish a database folder.
    5. Connect your New Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).
    6. Copy the CLUSB folder from the old device into the same base internal\default storage on the new phone.

    Disconnect the USB and open DejaOffice on the new phone. You might need to Open it, tap Exit at the bottom and Reopen. It should retain all the data and settings.
    Pardon my questioning your advice, but between steps 5 and 6, wouldn't be better to close Deja Office in the phone before copying the CLUSB folder into it?

    Also, I seem to recall reading that some newer phones don't have such an obvious location for the CLUSB folder. In my semi-antique S5, it's right in the main folder list.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63
    So all went well with my migration except for one thing.

    I am unable to get the native contact app to see the DO contacts. Got it setup ok in DO & the Android contacts but nothing appears.

    Phone is Samsung Galaxy A9 running Android 8.0.0
    DO is 4.4.14 build 1102

    Need some ideas please.....

    Paul
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy A9 (2018) SM-A920F with Android 8.0.0
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy Tab S2 TM-810 (32GB) with Android 7.0
    Companionlink 5.0 Build 5072 with Outlook 2003 Sp3 on Win 7 Pro Sp1
    Now syncing Via DejaCloud

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    So all went well with my migration except for one thing.

    I am unable to get the native contact app to see the DO contacts. Got it setup ok in DO & the Android contacts but nothing appears.

    Phone is Samsung Galaxy A9 running Android 8.0.0
    DO is 4.4.14 build 1102

    Need some ideas please.....

    Paul
    Ok found the "Read Android data" menu item & that did it, also read about the long press to make it do it again. All now good thanks....
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy A9 (2018) SM-A920F with Android 8.0.0
    DejaOffice 4.4.14 (1102) on Galaxy Tab S2 TM-810 (32GB) with Android 7.0
    Companionlink 5.0 Build 5072 with Outlook 2003 Sp3 on Win 7 Pro Sp1
    Now syncing Via DejaCloud

  10. #10
    DejaOffice Team Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,407
    Marjory,

    The last steps "You might need to Open it, tap Exit at the bottom and Reopen. It should retain all the data and settings." would cover this. The location of the CLUSB would always be in the Default\Internal Storage main folder. Sometimes this is called "Phone" when you see it in the windows explorer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •