Thread: DJ Contacts Playing Nice with Android Contacts

DJ Contacts Playing Nice with Android Contacts

I feel like I had this licked a while ago, but this has cropped up again. Not certain if it's related to my Android's update to "Pie" or not.

Here's the deal:
    I really like how my phone integrates with DJO for Caller ID. What I don't like is that my 2,000 DJO contacts appear in my phone's "Contacts" list. (I have some frequently-dialed folks in my Android Contacts; for everyone else, it's nearly as easy to hit the "call" button from inside DJO).

But lately, all of my DJO contacts appear in my Android Contacts. If I click "Groups", DJO shows up under "Account", but there's no way to hide its display.

Even if this is an Android issue and not a DJO issue, I bet someone has tackled this.

What's the answer?

Thanks,

rjb

Hello,

Check out this thread, it may hold the solution to your problem:

"DJO contacts do not show in Android People app"
    PC: Windows 10, 64 bit
    CompanionLink Express Ver 8 build # 8042
    Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (SM-T813) -> Android 7
    Samsung Galaxy J5 Dual SIM (Android 7.1.1)
    Samsung Note 8 (Android 9; One UI Version 1.0))
    Android DJO Version: 4.4.26 (1171)
    DPC Build 1164
    Sync Method to DejaCloud for now
    DJO Sync Settings for Contacts: Currently not selected
    DJO Sync Settings for Calendar: Currently not selected
    DJO Sync Settings for Tasks: Both ways

DejaOffice Team Member
    Rjb,

This would be controlled by the "Sync with Android Contacts App" option in the DejaOffice Settings > Sync Settings. Note if you disable this, you will still be able to dial directly from the DejaOffice Contacts, but if someone calls or text messages you and the number is only in DejaOffice, the phone will see this as an unknown number.

If you want only a select group of Contacts to sync to the Native Android Contacts, if you place the records you do want to see into a Category in DejaOffice, there is a sub-setting for the Sync with Android Contacts app to sync only Selected Categories, this would allow you to sync some, but not all DejaContacts to the Native Android Contacts app.

Thanks. Sorry I'm having trouble articulating what I'm trying to accomplish.

Previously, I had DJO and Android playing nicely so that my caller ID (and SMS ID) populated with the data from DJO - name, contact picture, etc.

But the list of names did NOT show up in my Android-native Contacts list. Which was exactly how I wanted it.

Now, when I tap "Contacts" from my main Android screen, it lists every single one of the contacts that are in DJO. I would prefer that not be the case.

In Android "Contacts", you can click on "Groups", which shows "DejaOffice Group", and "Accounts", which shows "DejaOffice (DejaOffice)" drop down, and then "DejaOffice Group". I am 99.44 percent certain, in previous builds of Android, you could select whether or not they would actually display. I'd like to turn the display off (I believe that would maintain the Caller ID functionality).

THAT'S what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks

DejaOffice Team Member
    Rj,

Ah thank you, this clarifies things, you just want to "hide" the DejaOffice contacts in then native. It looks like Android has moved this option. Try this for me:

1. Open the Android Contacts App.
    2. Tap the 4 bars in the top\middle left.
    3. Select an account other than DejaOffice.

This should only display the currently selected Contact Account and hide the records in DejaOffice.

So here's something interesting - when I did what you described, everything was Fonzie.

Turns out, I described my issue wrong.

It's not in the "Android Contacts App". It's when I select "Phone => Contacts". I always thought they were the same thing!

Picture

I've also discovered that now, when I do a "Search" on my phone - not in DJO, but using the Android magnifying glass - it pulls up all of my DJO contacts, along with apps, system settings, etc. (I usually use it to search for system settings since things are gtting less and less intuitive, the more AARP mailings I get...)

DejaOffice Team Member
    Rj,

Unfortunately I do not believe there is away to filter Contacts when in "Phone > Contacts", only in the "Contacts" app itself. As for the search, I believe if you open the search, tap the 3 dots in the top right of the search bar and select Settings, you will find an option called Manage Apps, this should allow you to "turn off" items that will be searched.

I am almost absolutely 110 percent certain in Android versions up to/including Oreo, you could filter... Ach.

But, yes, you're right on turning off searchable items, so at least there's that.

Thanks