Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaces removed from phone numbers on sync?

Spaces removed from phone numbers on sync?

When I do direct wifi sync between Outlook and DejaOffice for Android, the phone numbers in DejaOffice have spaces removed, but the spaces remain in Outlook.

Any idea why that might be happening? Is it a DejaOffice setting?

- Tim
    Sony XZ2 Compact - Android 8.0 (stock)
    DejaOffice v4.4.8, build 1072 - CompanionLink Professional 8, Build 8018
    Outlook 2010 - CL Sync : Outlook <-(WiFi)-> Android

DejaOffice Team Member
    Tim,

Our only setting for Formatting on the Android side is under DejaOffice Settings, Contact Settings and Phone Number Format. Is this currently set to "Android Phone Format" or "No Formatting"?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Tim,

Our only setting for Formatting on the Android side is under DejaOffice Settings, Contact Settings and Phone Number Format. Is this currently set to "Android Phone Format" or "No Formatting"?
    It's set to "Android Phone Format". I just compared a sample record, and in Outlook it has spaces preserved, and in DejaOffice it has the spaces removed.

Does "Android Phone Format" remove spaces from phone numbers? And if so, I wonder why, when I sync, it doesn't sync this format change (not that I'd want it to ;-) )?

- Tim

Helllllo?

- Tim

Tim,

Sorry to not reply. Android Phone format calls a native Android function:

PhoneNumberUtils.formatNumber(Editable text, int defaultFormattingType)

* defaultFormattingType will be set to a value based on the users locale's default value for this value, with these two possible values: FORMAT_NANP, FORMAT_JAPAN.

In theory this function is implemented by your Android OS version and your carrier. It is probably different from carrier to carrier, so the result from Verizon may be different than the result from T-Mobile.

Huh, interesting. I guess I should change it to something that doesn't remove the spaces, whatever that is.

- Tim

If you go to Settings, Contact Settings, Phone Number Format, and choose No Formatting, I think it will leave the spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOCTO View Post
    If you go to Settings, Contact Settings, Phone Number Format, and choose No Formatting, I think it will leave the spaces.
    I just set it to "No Formatting", and did a sync with it overwriting contacts (WiFi sync, Outlook -> Android), but on Android, the phone numbers of all contacts are still having their spaces removed. The phone numbers in Outlook retain the spaces.

I also tried it with "reread" flags on and "Optimized Update Sync" turned off and also set to overwrite contacts, one-way sync Outlook -> Android, and the phone numbers are still having their spaces removed.

So it *looks* like a bug of some sort.

I do have "sync with Android Contacts app" enabled; could it be that it's overwriting sync data with the contacts already in the Android contacts app (with the wrong format phone numbers)?

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 06-05-2019 at 10:14 AM.

I have phone numbers with spaces in them, and they are not removed after a sync. Both Outlook and phone are the same. In Contact Settings I have Phone Number Format set to Use Android Phone Format. In CompanionLink > Settings > Phone Format I only have Automatically include extensions checked. Check you CompanionLink settings to see what is set there. Maybe this will help.
    PC: Windows 7, 64 bit
    CompanionLink build #: Companionlink 8 for Outlook, Build 8039
    Data Manager App: Outlook 2010 64-bit
    Mobile Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (SM-N960F) Thailand;
    DejaOffice version#: 4_4_22_1143
    Sync Method with CompanionLink: DejaCloud
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Contacts: Selected, sync with Android, Account = DejaOffice.
    DejaOffice Sync Settings for Calendar: Not selected.
    Native Contacts Account: DejaOffice

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle 3 View Post
    I have phone numbers with spaces in them, and they are not removed after a sync. Both Outlook and phone are the same. In Contact Settings I have Phone Number Format set to Use Android Phone Format. In CompanionLink > Settings > Phone Format I only have Automatically include extensions checked. Check you CompanionLink settings to see what is set there. Maybe this will help.
    Do you also have it sync with Android Contacts, tho'?

I have "Use US Formatting" and "Automatically include extensions" set.

EDIT: I unchecked "Use US Formatting" and that seems to have fixed it. I'm surprised, tho', because in older versions of CompanionLink, it didn't seem to have that effect. Either that, or the setting didn't exist, or perhaps I didn't have it set before (though I can't recall ever changing that setting). I'm a bit confused, because for most of my life, US Formatting has meant what I use - "(XXX) XXX-XXXX" with a space between the closing paren and the next number. Perhaps the definition of US Formatting has changed? Like maybe it's XXX-XXX-XXXX now or something?

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 06-05-2019 at 06:46 PM.