Thread: Calender Displays Some Appointments on Wrong Day

Calender Displays Some Appointments on Wrong Day

I have a recurring problem where some appointments will suddenly display on the previous day as a 24 hour appt (not an all day appt but it actually takes up all 24 hours). The original appt is always a few hours and not near the beginning or end of the day. The odd thing is if i edit the appt it shows the original date and time. The appt displays wrong only in the Day, Week, Month, or Agenda views.
    If i leave an old appt as is it sometimes corrects itself a few days later.
    I reinstalled DejaOffice last month due to a sync problem. I have 4.4.19 build 1131 and the latest Android Oreo.

This is not a fix, but may help us diagnose the problem.

When it is displaying wrong, go to Settings, Calendar Settings, and choose the 2nd to last item Rebuild Calendar Display.

Please tell me if this fixes the issue.

We have two types of records in the calendar. Your actual data records, and also something we can "display records" which are temporary. A display record is normally a recurring event, because the actual record is from a different date. The rebuild option wipes and rebuilds the "display records" which are temporary.

An event showing all day on the wrong day might be associated with the time zone of the event, if it is not in your current time zone. Android is Linux based, and holds all date/times as unixtime, so there is a constant conversion going on between the time you choose (10:30am on Saturday) and the unixtime value which is relative to UTC.

It sounds like there is a flaw in the conversion for those particular events. See if rebuilding display records patches it, in which case we will know the flaw is in the displayrecord system, or if not, then the problem is with the time zone conversion of the actual values you have entered.

I tried this and it corrected the display.
    Thanks for the info.

Ok. So that means the data is correct, but for some reason the auto-generated display record is not right.

What type of appointment is it? Is there anything significant like that it starts very early in the day (1am, 2am) or late in the day (11pm, 12pm?)?

The "Rebuild" process runs automatically at the end of each sync. It may also run if you exit and re-enter DejaOffice (on the main menu use the Exit icons). The exit function does more than just exit, it actually does a bit of closing and cleanup of cache files on the way out.

If this problem persists, and you are willing to share your data, you can email tech support from the App. We can look at the exact data that is causing the problem. Aside from that, I'll put the team on notice to watch for

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
    The appointments involved are single never recurring.
    What I noticed earlier this week was I had one 2 hour appt that switched to display the previous day as a 24 hour appt like previous times. It happened just before or during the appt. Since the appt was past I just left it. About 4 days later it corrected itself. I don't usually exit Deja but I might have. I sync with Outlook periodically but didn't during that time. I also have it set to sync with Android Calendar which I guess happens more or less in real time.
    Today just before a 2 hour appt it changed every appt to one hour later. I tried the rebuld and it didn't change anything. After the appt I noticed now every appt was the previous day and 24 hours long, just like mentioned before. I did rebuild and it fixed display on all.
    In all cases when I edit appts they show correct date/time.
    I did a reinstall of Deja in May to latest ver on Google Play. It looks like there is a new ver now I haven't installed so I must be one ver back.

I should also mention this problem of changing appts to prev day first happened last February. I resolved by restoring database from a backup. That problem didn't happened again till May. I was using an older version back then but not sure which.

The reason I reinstalled in May was because it wasn't syncing with Android Calendar or Contacts anymore. Android calendar was mostly empty and Android contacts completely gone.
    Could display problem be a conflict with Android Sync?

I can email data if this happens again.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mrzippy55; 06-12-2019 at 07:16 PM.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Mr Zippy,

Digging a bit deeper into this issue, it sounds like there is a time zone shift occurring. During the time you noticed the events appearing at incorrect time, was there any travel that occurred across timezones? If not, do you live in an area close to a timezone change? Sometimes the phone can connect to different Cell Towers and get back some bad location info.

Secondly, there is a setting in DejaOffice to prevent any timezone shifting. Can you check this setting:

1. Open DejaOffice on the device
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap General Settings

Find the option called "Time Zone Shift". What is this currently set to?

If you set this to "No", even if the timezone of the phone were to change, no events in DejaOffice would be shifted to display at the newly detected timezone.

Time Zone Shift was set to Not Decided. I just changed to NO, but I live 300 miles from the nearest time zone and haven't traveled more than 50 miles this year.

Thanks!

It can happen when a tower in your area transmits the wrong time zone (or more properly, the wrong Daylight Time setting). The tower might transmit the correct time, but the wrong daylight mode, which can cause the phone to shift.

Android phones keep all times in UTC (even DejaOffice) so when the wrong time zone is picked up, everything shifts by an hour. The "Time zone shift" setting will reset times to what was synchronized rather than using the internal clock.

So another thing to try is to stop the phone from using tower time to update the clock.