Thread: Upgrade path from CL5 to PC CRM

Upgrade path from CL5 to PC CRM

I don't know if you remember me but I have been a customer of yours going way back. I even had a DejaCloud subscription. I loved your software and your customer service.

In 2017, I decided to do without Outlook (actually I got rid of all of MS Office) and moved my PIMS over to Pimlical, which meant I could no longer use CL, sadly. I don't remember why I didn't go to Palm Desktop-- I think I already had my data in Pimlical from when CL could sync with it. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

I have now just noticed you PC CRM and am wondering if this means I can return to you folks. I will download and use the 14 day trial, but I have a couple of key questions.

1) Does your CRM import data and in what format? I know it doesn't sync with Pimlical, but I can export as ics or possibly csv or at least text.

2) Is there an upgrade path from CL 5 to the PC CRM and, if so, what is the upgrade pricing.

3) Do I need CL installed first and, if so, is version 7 too old and will my old license be recognized?

So, my assumption is that your PC CRM is like a modernized version of Palm Desktop thatcan sync PIMS to DJO on my phone or to multiple devices with Deja Cloud. That is, it is a stand alone desktop for PIM management and syncing without requiring Outlook or Google. Let me know if this is correct.

I would love it if this means I can use Deja Office on my phone again. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer this.
    1 - Yes it imports data. https://www.companionlink.com/suppor...porting_Tables

2. The best upgrade path is to see where your data is, and use it for the DPC "Data Source" even if you pull it in once then turn that off. Outlook, Palm Desktop, DejaOffice on Android, iPhone, can all be data sources.

3. DPC contains it's own encapsulated version of CL. So that's what you need.

So just buy a DPC Standalone from here: https://auth.companionlink.com/buyno...tCode=DPCINTRO

Pimlical is an interesting beast. Originally it used Palm Desktop data files and so did CompanionLink. We engineered our own read/write routines for Palm files. But unbeknownst to us Pimlical used a Palm Desktop reading function found in Sun Java SDK. Then, in an unlikely change by Sun, Java dropped the Palm Desktop routines. I offered to share our functions, but it would have been a major rewrite for them or us to maintain compatibility.

So the best scenario is for you to find your best data source, and then either import or sync it in to DPC.

BTW - DPC is going to be "free for personal use" with some limitations. This will roll out in just a week or two more. But I recommend the $39.95 purchase because it's not a lot of money and you get telephone tech support.

Thanks for all the great information, DJOCTO. Have my work cut out for me.
    DejaOffice PC CRM Standalone, Windows 10 Home Version ver. 1903
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.
    DejaCloud Sync (PC and phone), USB Sync (Tablet).

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

It looks like my best bet for coming from Pimlical is to use Pimlical to load the data to Google and then pull it into DPC. After that I will only sync with either Android or DejaCloud. My question is, can I use the standalone DPC to pull in from Google or do I have to use the Google version? The standalone is what I want.
    DejaOffice 4.4.21 (Android), Moto G6, stock Android 9), May 2019 security patch.*
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2), August 2019 security patch.

*Temporary phone after my Nexus 6p died, holding out for this phone as a replacement: https://www.fxtec.com/pro1/

Standalone can be used for a one time sync from Google to DejaOffice, and then reset for Two-way DejaCloud Sync.

Thanks. I will plunge in this evening. You're about to become $40 richer. Does that get you dinner in Portland, lol?

I'll try not to spend it all in one place...!

As you can see from my sig, I got it all set up and working fine. Going through Google was the perfect way to get data from Pimlical to PC CRM. Exported to ics, imported each category as a calendar in a Google account I don't use much, used PC CRM to do a one-time-one way sync to that Google account, then deleted the calendars from Google. So fast, the spiders probably didn't have time to crawl. And that fast, Google doesn't have time to delete stuff over two years old.

For now I have manual USB sync set up. I think I will probably do DJO Cloud for automatic sync, as I had that years ago and loved it. I'm just waiting to get a question answered by your sales people-- I can't quite figure out the difference between DCL1 and DCL2 or what it means for DCL1 not to have a PC license.

Thanks for all your help, DJOCTO. As always, the customer service here is great and I'm happy to be back.