Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Categories Not Transferring to PD

Categories Not Transferring to PD

PC acted up today. The MSFT tech had one solution - reformat the HD.

So now I'm reinstalling software.

Put back PD 4.1 and latest CL. Syncing via USB.

Did one "Data Type" at a time, just to make sure all was kosher. Memos, then To Dos, then Contacts, then Calendar - all "Android to Palm Desktop".

So when I open Calendar in PD, all of the appointments are the same color. I went to check "Categories" in the "Tools" menu, and it was greyed out.

Categories are correct in the other Data Types, and "Categories" is select-able from the "Tools" menu in each.

In my DJO, I use the same Category name in several different data types (e.g., "Personal" is a Category in Contacts, Calendar, and To Dos).

This is most vexing.

(And, it should go without saying, everything was groovy before reformatting the HD).

Any help would be... helpful.

DejaOffice Team Member
    RJ,

How many categories do you have in DejaOffice? Palm Desktop does have a limit of 15 total categories.

Sorry for the late reply; I discovered that my Saved Passwords didn't migrate, and have spent the day going down tat nutroll....

I know the category limit - I am literally just trying to rebuild what I had before. (I do have a backup I can write over, but it's three days' out of date...).

All told in DJO, I have 19 or 20 categories, but no more than 14 in any one Data Type (e.g., 10 in Calendar, 14 in Contacts, 13 in Memos, and 12 in Tasks).

This is very odd.

I decided I would just erase datebook.dba and replace with an archive copy.

But for the life of me, I couldn't find that - or any of the Palm *.dba files - on my hard drive (even though PD Tools=>Options says where they should be).

So I uninstalled PD. I uninstalled CL. I deleted the "Palm" directory from C:\Program Files (86). I rebooted. I ran CCleaner's "Registry Cleaner" twice and rebooted.

I reinstalled PD.

I opened it up - without syncing - AND ALL OF MY DATA WAS IN THERE ALREADY! (Including the Calendar items that didn't have categories!!!!!!!!)

What the what?

And here's the weird thing - if I look in Palm Desktop Tools=>Options and click on "Browse" for the Data Directory, it shows me a subdirectory THAT DOES NOT EXIST ON MY HARD DRIVE. (And yes, I have "Show Hidden Files" ticked).

[mispost...]

Just an FYI the entire DejaOffice website moved yesterday afternoon to a different server. Please report any problems.

So your data is in a virtualized directory under c:\users\<username>\appdata\ and then the Palm Directory. Look there for the data.

When Microsoft split Programs and Data, programs that existed at the time like Palm Desktop were handled by virtualizing the data store and moving it.
    Last edited by DJOCTO; 07-09-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks. I am having MASSIVE troubles getting in and using your boards... I was assuming it was just me and my ongoing black thumb of technology. (I even made two PowerPoint videos of my issues). Spent an hour last night getting new passwords, getting bumped out, etc... You have my email if you want to take it offline.

I had looked in appdata - there is no Palm directory in \appdata\local, appdata\LocalLow, or appdata\Roaming, that I could find.

And here's a screen shot of what I was talking about in the last line of my previous post.

phpyZh2mtAM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

DejaOffice Team Member
    Rj,

I just sent you an email directly with some further steps on this.

Here’s the latest:

Uninstalled, deleted the phantom Virtual Store directory (at buried in App Data\Local) and reinstalled Palm.

Created c:\Palm Data\JR
    (Don’t know why Palm named my directory “JR” in 1997, but they did).

All good –opened PD and assigned c:\Palm Data\JR as my data directory.

Copied the JR subdirectory from my last successful backup, and received a “Failed to open Date Book database” message; ditto for To Do, Address, and Memo.

(I have absolutely replaced “datebook.dat” in the past from backup copies and had no issues. Same with “todo.dat”; not sure about the other two).

Any thoughts on THAT???

THANK YOU

rjbinney - Thomas says you got the files working. Was that the case?

As for the forum issues - I think you just ran into a server mismatch on the night we changed. It should all be stable now. The nature of our move made it so you may have been setting a password on the old server and then trying to log in on the new server. This type of IP addressing tends to take 24 hours for all internet nodes to get the new IP address.