Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Desktop suddenly showing private records without asking for password

Palm Desktop suddenly showing private records without asking for password

Same old Android phone. New computer. Palm Desktop and CompanionLink installed and sync (Android to Palm) working.
    But suddenly, records marked private on computer can be "unhid" without a password.
    The Show, Mask and Hide functions work; they just don't ask for password.
    When I try to "Require Password" in Palm Desktop, and click on "unassigned," it says "Assign password in your handheld."
    I've tried re-syncing and re-setting password in DJO and re-syncing.
    How do I get Palm Desktop to go back to requiring password before displaying Private Memos?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Android
    DejaOffice version 4.4.20 (build 1138)
    CompanionLink 6, build #6052
    Data Manager App: PalmDesktop
    Sync with CompanionLink via DejaConnect USB
    DejaOffice Sync Settings: Sync with Android Contacts and Calendar.
    Service provider AT&T

DejaOffice Team Member
    Nan,

I checked into this, from what I could find it looks like the Palm Desktop Privacy Password setting was totally controlled by the Palm Handheld. I was unable to find a way to directly add privacy password to Palm Desktop.

Have you looked at our new DejaOffice PC CRM program? It is a great replacement for Palm and you can set a Privacy Password directly from the Program:

https://www.companionlink.com/pc-crm/palmdesktop/

https://www.companionlink.com/suppor...ption_Settings

Thank you, Thomas. I have switched to new computers several times since I began using CompanionLink and never had this problem before.
    Even if I do decide to switch to pc-crm, I'd like to keep the old Palm files with private records locked. Any chance I could fire up my old Palm Treo and re-set the password with it?
    I don't want to corrupt any files though, especially as I'd be bringing that data over into pc-crm.
    I have considered switching because Palm doesn't handle repeat events well, and doesn't print them on subsequent days. I'm hoping pc-crm would handle that better.
    Service provider AT&T

FAQs regarding PC-CRM say, "Setting up DPC will connect Palm Desktop . . .to the DejaOffice App, and keep it fully up to date. This is real-time sync. So you can continue to use Palm Desktop for any features you need out of it."
    I wonder whether this will fix the problem mentioned above,
    or whether I'll need to eliminate Palm Desktop software so that people can not access my private records there.
    Service provider AT&T

DejaOffice Team Member
    Nan,

When you had switched to a new computer before, did you actually copy over all of the Palm Data files from the original machine or use CompanionLink to repopulate a clean copy of Palm? It is possible the Password is stored in the User.dat file in the Original Palm Folder on the previous machine.

For the DPC question, our Privacy passwords work within the App, you do not need a device to set them. If you move to DPC instead of Palm, the Palm can stay on the machine as an archive\backup if you like.

I back up my Palm files to a flash drive once a month, so all 3 or 4 times I got a new computer, I downloaded Palm 6.22 desktop software, then entered the name of my Android, located the folder Palm had created for my data, deleted it, and then pasted the folder with the same name from my flash drive in its place.
    Then downloaded CompanionLink and let it sync with phone. So the users.dat file came from the old computer, not a repopulated clean copy of Palm. Since this was the first sync since the file on the flash drive had been created, it correctly synced only the changes I had made on the Android.

I see a User.dat file in the Palm OS desktop folder with date modified being the day I did the steps above.
    I fired up the computer I had been using CompanionLink on before the one that just died, and its files look the same. Palm OS still requires a password to view hidden files on that computer.

For the DPC question, yes, I would want Palm to stay on the machine as an archive/backup, BUT I don't want someone else to be able to pick up my computer and see the memos marked Private in Palm.

Would DPC, when syncing with Palm Desktop just for backup purposes, password protect the Private items in Palm?
    Service provider AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by NanCcan View Post
    For the DPC question, yes, I would want Palm to stay on the machine as an archive/backup, BUT I don't want someone else to be able to pick up my computer and see the memos marked Private in Palm.

Would DPC, when syncing with Palm Desktop just for backup purposes, password protect the Private items in Palm?
    DPC does not change the palm data. In both systems, if you use a database reader, the data in the "Private" memos is readable.

The best way to archive the palm data so it is NOT readable by a database editing tool is to zip the file with a password. Passworded zip files are very secure.

With DPC - you need to not only mark the data private, but also set the system to use an encrypted database. This will store the database encrypted so that it is only visible while you are in it. A data scanning tool cannot read the file.

So your best course for security is

1. Move to DPCS
    2. Encrypt your database
    3. Zip your archive files using a password
    4. Clean up all systems with exposed files.

Please keep in mind that you cannot lose the password for the zipped file. There is no way to break in.

What version of Palm Desktop are you using? I have 4.2, and it looks as though there are a couple of places in the menus that involve passwords. If I remember it right, when I recently got a new phone and reinstalled DJO on it, my first sync was from Palm to DJO. Some time after that I noticed that my private records were not masked or hidden in either side, and eventually got them each set again to mask.

Quote Originally Posted by marjoryb98 View Post
    What version of Palm Desktop are you using? I have 4.2, and it looks as though there are a couple of places in the menus that involve passwords. If I remember it right, when I recently got a new phone and reinstalled DJO on it, my first sync was from Palm to DJO. Some time after that I noticed that my private records were not masked or hidden in either side, and eventually got them each set again to mask.
    I am using Palm Desktop 6.2.2, same as on last computer.
    Do you have any idea what you did to get each to require password to un-mask or un-hide private records?
    I was told (while giving in and buying Deja's new CRM) that there has been a lot of discussion about Palm password problems in Deja Forums of late, but I cannot find any conversation other than my own (perhaps because I am in the Android forum?).
    Palm is still on my desktop, although not syncing anymore (per my setup choices), and I don't really want to zip the whole app to password protect it (still have to research how to do that anyway!)
    Service provider AT&T

One thing I found recently that there also is an item in the main settings menu under Privacy and encryption that says Privacy Password. That has two choices, Disabled and Enabled. You might also need to set that as enabled. Mine had somehow gotten set to disabled, and all my protected memos etc were showing all the time. The only thing I could associate that with was the last update of DJO to 4.4.23, build 1160, but didn't ask if that could have caused it.

BUT, you are saying that you can't mask or hide your records in Palm Desktop. In Tools/Options, the Security tab has the choice to require a password to access Palm data. My version 4.2 also has a little lock symbol on the menu bar, with choices to show, mask or hide private records.

===============================================
    Samsung Galaxy S10e, Android 9, security patch level, July 1, 2019; software updated Aug. 1, 2019
    DJO 4.4.23, build 1160; CL 8040
    Win10 x64, Fall Creator/March 2019 update, v 1903, last major update 6/20/19, last monthly update 8/14/19
    PalmDesktop 4.2

USB sync -- manual syncing, as needed
    Not syncing to native Android calendar or contacts