Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find a "Search all of DejaOffice" function

Can't find a "Search all of DejaOffice" function

Probably I'm overlooking something.
    I'm running Android 2.1
    My virtual keyboard does not have a search function.
    In most of DJO's applications there is no search entry in the menu, certainly not in the home screen.
    (There is a search entry in contacts but it only searches within contacts).
    Am I doing something wrong?

Miguel

Miguel, here's more info on how search works in DejaOffice - http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...ks.html#search

Quote Originally Posted by Kaena View Post
    Miguel, here's more info on how search works in DejaOffice - http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...ks.html#search
    Unfortunately, my phone (a Gigabyte codfish) does NOT have a dedicated search button. This may not be the best phone but it does have all the top features like a capacitive screen and a 5 Mb camera, GPS and all that stuff!
    Unfortunately, neither does Android 2.1 which shipps with the phone have the search button on the virtual keyboard like 2.2 does.

So I'm basically stuck. The only search box I can come up with is from the menu within DJO contacts. But that only searches contacts. I can't get any global search function on DJO in my installation.

Is it asking too much to get a "global search button" in the menus for the next DJO releases?

Thanks for considering!

Miguel

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia running Android 2.1. The keyboard doesn't have a search button on it. Is there another way to open a search box? It is very important that I can search the calendar.

The Samsung Galaxy S also does not have a search button.

In another thread Kaena wrote:
    If your device doesn't have a dedicated Search button, press and hold your Menu button from the DejaOffice home screen to bring up the global search field. More info - http://www.dejaoffice.com/classroom/...ks.html#search

With the Galaxy S the search-bar appears, if I press and hold the menue-button for the second time.
    The first press brings up the menue, and the second press and hold makes the menue dissapear and opens the search.
    The search results are grouped in Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and NotePad.
    You have to klick on every group. There ist no summary.
    But that is no problem, it can be done fast.
    Last edited by mcsteve; 12-28-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks mcsteve. Unfortunately, on my phone that does not work. When I'm in the DJO home screen and push the menu button, the only option I get is "change colours". Long-pressing, double-pressing, anything-pressing doesn't work.

I have in the last days tried every alternative (changing virtual keyboard, hacking the buttons in rooted mode, installing some nice programs that supposedly do a lot of nice things but do not work on my Android) but I cannot get the Android search box to come up.

What DOES work is a local search. From the calendar view for instance if I long-press the menu button the keyboard comes up. Of course the 2.1 keyboard does not have the search button but if I start to type DJO takes that as a local search through the calendar.

That doesn't solve the problem but it makes it a lot less urgent.

Here goes a hint from the developers at google themselves:
    http://developer.android.com/guide/t...ch-dialog.html

"Once you have a searchable Activity, invoking the search dialog is easy. Many Android devices provide a dedicated SEARCH key, which reveals the search dialog when the user presses it from a searchable context of your application. However, you should not assume that a SEARCH key is available on the user's device and should always provide a search button in your UI that invokes search."

I know you guys have a lot on your plates but I am sure this is THE application that will turn an Android from a gaming phone into a professional tool.

Happy and great New Year for everybody!

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

Are you sure long pressing the Menu button on the DejaOffice home screen doesn't bring up your keyboard and search box? You said you get the menu option to change colors - it sounds like you're just not holding your menu button down long enough. You should see a screen like this - http://www.dejaoffice.com/screenshot...-searchall.png

Also, thanks mcsteve for chiming in!

Hi Kaena,

Just like Miguel, I also do not get that window when I long press on the menu button. What I do get is a semi-transparent image of my typing. While it does search, it is not thorough. For example, it does not give me all the entries for a given client.

Secondly, when I put in appointments in my phone calendar, I am able to use the Search function on my phone calendar, but after I sync it with CompanionLink, I am not able to find those appointments using that search option.

This Search feature is so basic. I am quite frustrated by it. Hoping you can help.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaena View Post
    Hi Miguel,

Are you sure long pressing the Menu button on the DejaOffice home screen doesn't bring up your keyboard and search box? You said you get the menu option to change colors - it sounds like you're just not holding your menu button down long enough. You should see a screen like this - http://www.dejaoffice.com/screenshot...-searchall.png

Also, thanks mcsteve for chiming in!
    I can press for as long as want. All I get is the "simple" search when I start to type. I'm not sure how thorough it is. For the time being, I work mostly with Palm Desktop and do the searches from there (I haven't been traveling lately.)

Miguel

Nexus One does not bring up the keyboard search icon as described.
    The keyboard has the "return" key where you show the search magnifier icon.
    There is a hardware search button on the Nexus but this only searches Contacts.
    Have tried the standard Android keyboard as well as Swype.