Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syncing Deja contact categories to iPhone groups

Syncing Deja contact categories to iPhone groups

In the past I was able to have my contacts in iPhone contacts sorted by groups that matched Deja contacts categories, now with latest upgrade no more. Purged and reloaded iphone and categories show up in Deja contacts but not iPhone contact groups. Please advise!!

I now have the same issue after updating to 1.4 - no categories are populated. It originally wiped all categories out of Deja when I updated.

ALSO - contact scrolling in Deja is now slow as dirt. Please provide link to prior version we can install.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Progreen:
    Apple regulates application installation through the iTunes Store. So going back to a previous version is not possible. As stated in the alternate thread. This issue is now fixed.
    A workaround for this process that I noted on this forum is this...
    Update your apps through your device (not through iTunes on your computer desktop) If the update does not work to your satisfaction, you can then uninstall the app and re-install the previous version from iTunes on your computer desktop. You can always Transfer purchases from your device into iTunes later if the update is better.
    It seems like a good way to manage SW updates on the Apple Platform in general, so I am passing it along.

I just downloaded DejaOffice 1.1.5 and Companionlink Pro Build 4029, also just upgraded to new iPhone 4, have not synced with companionlink as of yet, just restored previous phone settings.

Can I assume when you said the issue is fixed, does that mean if I sync with DejaOffice using the wireless link the native iPhone contact will have DejaOffice categories displayed as groups?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Kane,
    Are you using CompanionLink along with Outlook, or is it a different source of data?

I just finished restoring old iPhone data and configuring my new iPhone 4. Downloaded both Dejaoffice 1.1.6 and Companionlink Pro 4 build 4029. My primary database is Act! 2010, after syncing first contacts Act to Wifi purge and reload; I had success, however the dejaoffice categories did not populate the native iPhone groups as 1.1.4 did. Second, I synced calendar Act to Wifi purge and reload, now the existing native calendar doubled up. Dejaoffice was fine. I purged the native calendar with Itunes and repeated the wireless sync, calendar Act to Wifi, purge and reload. Dejaofice synced fine, however the native calendar was still empty, repeated twice and still no events in native calendar. Also I noticed bugs in Dejaoffice when navigating some of the settings screen in that I lost the top menu to return to home, I had to turn phone off to get back to dejaoffice home screen. I have 1862 contacts and 262 calendar events. I sell commercial real estate and depend on the Act data on the iPhone. I need a bullet proof sync tool, now I am forced to enter data into Act only, can't rely on iPhone data to be sync back to Act.

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSKane View Post
    I just finished restoring old iPhone data and configuring my new iPhone 4. Downloaded both Dejaoffice 1.1.6 and Companionlink Pro 4 build 4029. My primary database is Act! 2010, after syncing first contacts Act to Wifi purge and reload; I had success, however the dejaoffice categories did not populate the native iPhone groups as 1.1.4 did. Second, I synced calendar Act to Wifi purge and reload, now the existing native calendar doubled up. Dejaoffice was fine. I purged the native calendar with Itunes and repeated the wireless sync, calendar Act to Wifi, purge and reload. Dejaofice synced fine, however the native calendar was still empty, repeated twice and still no events in native calendar. Also I noticed bugs in Dejaoffice when navigating some of the settings screen in that I lost the top menu to return to home, I had to turn phone off to get back to dejaoffice home screen. I have 1862 contacts and 262 calendar events. I sell commercial real estate and depend on the Act data on the iPhone. I need a bullet proof sync tool, now I am forced to enter data into Act only, can't rely on iPhone data to be sync back to Act.
    DejaOffice is designed to be an alternative calendar for iPhone users, not necessarily as a parallel calendar. Is there a specific reason you require the native iPhone calendar to sync with ACT!?

Also regarding your original Post... DJO and CompanionLink is designed to provide sync functions and capabilities that are more powerful and robust than the native iPhone functions. In order to continue to seamlessly provide this, we moved away from importing the native iPhone Groups in the DJO Contacts application.

When you experienced the loss of the top menu, did the iPhone home button lose functionality as well? - If the Home button failed -this would indicate that the DJO or the device froze.
    We are not aware of any screens that dead end in DJO 1.1.6. If this is something you can reproduce regularly, we would love additional information.

Thomas, I appreciate the fact that Deja Cal is an alternative calendar, however in ACT once you select a contact connected to the ACT calendar event that contacts info shows up under the event's notes in the native iPhone calendar. The notes entered in ACT for each event don't sync into Deja Cal. Also the contacts phone numbers are hyper-linked so you can dial from the calendar app. As to the Deja contacts categories synced to iPhone groups, once you are in the phone app it would be nice to filter contacts by groups rather than jumping back to Deja contacts to do the search. Is there a way to place the Deja Cal & Deja contacts icons as separate icons on the iPhone screen?

DejaOffice Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSKane View Post
    Thomas, I appreciate the fact that Deja Cal is an alternative calendar, however in ACT once you select a contact connected to the ACT calendar event that contacts info shows up under the event's notes in the native iPhone calendar. The notes entered in ACT for each event don't sync into Deja Cal. Also the contacts phone numbers are hyper-linked so you can dial from the calendar app. As to the Deja contacts categories synced to iPhone groups, once you are in the phone app it would be nice to filter contacts by groups rather than jumping back to Deja contacts to do the search. Is there a way to place the Deja Cal & Deja contacts icons as separate icons on the iPhone screen?
    We are going to investigate the problem you have reported about the dialer function.
    What version and build of CompanionLink are you using?
    Also what iPhone and iOS version?
    Any notes that sync from ACT and end up in the native iPhone calendar should be in Deja Cal. If that is not happening then there is either a Deja Cal configuration issue or a sync problem. It is highly unlikely it is a sync problem though if the information shows in the Native iPhone Calendar. Since the data from ACT is placed first into DejaOffice and then shared with Native iOS apps.
    Great idea about placing Deja Cal and Deja Contacts as separate icons. However if we did that way the iOS would prevent the apps from sharing the information.
    That design is based on very specific Apple specs and OS design that we must work with.
    If third party apps could access information from other third party apps... That would be a serious security problem for everyone.

DejaOffice 1.6 and companionlink Pro V4 4029 are both the latest versions and I have the new iPhone 4 with the latest IOS.