Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small screen display issues

Lightbulb Small screen display issues

Hi there,

I just purchased a Sony X10 Mini Pro, which has a quite small screen.
    there are some issues with that which might need a look into:

Header too large!
    On top of each DejaOffice application there is the module you are in displayed. i.e. "DejaCalendar", with the "home" button on the left, and the "add appointment" button on the right.

Problem in Landscape mode:
    Because the header is so large, I can only see about 2 hours of the day in the Calendar!
    I switched already to the smallest font, but still. It seems the Calender displays about 2 (and a bit) lines every hour. Maybe it would be possible to reduce this to show only 1 (and a bit) lines, this would double the display area. Alternatively a "compressed" view would be good, where empty times are not displayed IF not all appointments on this day can fit into the screen view.
    Maybe a even smaller font would be helpful too.
    Also, the header size should be able to be resized (specify font size?)

Problem with Portrait mode:
    The header is too wide (and still uses a lot of space in height). It actually pushes the "home" button off the screen. You have no way of returning to "home" without flipping the keyboard open to force the calendar display into landscape mode to get the "home" button accessible.

Seems to be a fairly urgent requirement.
    Any info when this will/ could be implemented would be greatly appreciated!

Here some screen shots to make it easier to understand:
    Portrait mode:
    Even so the screen is not as high, the Palm phone can display many more hours worth of appointments. The "Home" button is pushed off the screen. (After trying, it actually is possible to go "Home" by pressing the very right edge of the screen, but still, you can't see the button anymore)
    Also note the "All" next to the drop down arrow: This allows to filter appointment to only display the categories you are interested in (No need to display all the Private appointments when you are on the road for the company, right?):

Landscape mode:
    Even so the screen is not that much higher, the Palm phone can display many more hours worth of appointments:
    Last edited by marwerno; 01-15-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding pictures for explanation

Question

Nobody experienced the same problems on small screens?
    Nobody want to have more "work space"?

I'm completely with you on this one. Search the forums for other threads by me and you'll see some related suggestions for better use of screen real estate.

DejaOffice Team
    All-
    There are hundreds and hundreds of Android devices out there with many different screen sizes, that range from very small to very large, and we want DejaOffice to run on all of them. This is a tough issue for all Android developers to tackle. Many Android developers require their apps only run on larger screen sizes, and require their Android OS be at least 2.0. The X10 has one of the smallest screens out there and is running an much older version of the Android OS, that many developers have discontinued support for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    All-
    There are hundreds and hundreds of Android devices out there with many different screen sizes, that range from very small to very large, and we want DejaOffice to run on all of them. This is a tough issue for all Android developers to tackle. Many Android developers require their apps only run on larger screen sizes, and require their Android OS be at least 2.0. The X10 has one of the smallest screens out there and is running an much older version of the Android OS, that many developers have discontinued support for.
    That makes total sense, and I certainly wouldn't want to see DJO start requiring only large-screen devices. However, if you look at the picture in the original posting, you can see that the Android device's screen has 85% of the vertical size of the Palm device's screen but is showing far less than 85% of the information shown on the Palm device.

Looking at rough pixel counts in my favorite picture editor, I see the following:

Android/DJO: 210 vertical pixels total

10% = 20 pixels = Android Header
    17% = 35 pixels = DJO Header/home button/new button
    52% = 112 pixels = Day Info = date plus 2.5 time slots
    21% = 46 pixels = bottom icons

Palm: 250 vertical pixels total

18% = 45 pixels = date, time, week navigation, category picker
    68% = 170 pixels = Day Info = 10 time slots
    15% = 35 pixels = bottom icons

The information area on the Palm holds 4 times as much information (time slots) as DJCal but is only is 50% larger (170 pixels vs 112 pixels).

Also, the information area on the Palm is 68% of the entire display versus 52% for DJCal.

The top area of the Palm has 2 useful pieces of information (date, time) and 2 useful controls (week nav, category picker); the top area of DJCal has 1 useful control (new button), 1 questionable control (home button), and 1 useless label.

The bottom area of the Palm has 7 useful controls; the bottom area of DJCal has 5 useful controls.

Overall, Palm has packed 10 time slots, the date, the time, and 9 useful controls onto the screen for a total of 21 bits of useful stuff.

DJCal has 2.5 time slots, the date, the time (since the Android header shows it), 6 useful controls, 1 questionable control, and 1 useless label on screen, for a total of 10.5 useful bits, 1 questionable bit, and 1 useless bit.

Putting this all together, Palm has twice the useful stuff onscreen, in only about 15% more total space.

I'll note that even on my Droid X, with a very large screen, there are still only 8 time slots shown in portrait mode, as compared to the 10 shown on my smaller Palm Treo screen. So even with a larger screen, DJO is showing me less information.

I think it would be of huge benefit to the user for DJCal to shrink the top and bottom sections, put more useful buttons in them, and, most importantly, use (or at least allow) a smaller font for the information area, giving the user a much higher information density and therefore a much more useful tool.

I agree with marwerno and RobFreundlich. DJO's Calender List View is very useful. DayView is not that helpful, especially when you have dates, that don't last long (see picture below: HTC Legend). Palms DayView delivered more information, even on smaller screens (picture below: Palm Centro).

I think Week View is yet more difficult to handle for the developer. DJO's solution is not bad (better than the original Palm WeekView). On Palm I used for that purpose the application "A5", which found a brilliant way to show a whole week and adds an extra field for "Tasks" (see picture below).

If the further developement of DejaOffice puts a focus on efficient screen design, it would be a strong benefit for the user.
    DayView..jpgWeekView..jpg
    Last edited by Phileas; 01-29-2011 at 06:28 AM.

ok, 1.10.3 has little improvements in week view.

I don't need :
    - the big "dejacalendar" header, we already know we are viewing the calendar !
    - the categories filter in header in list view, you may put it in the menu option
    - the view switch icons in the footer, you may put it in the menu option
    In landscape mode, this is near half of the screen. Please make room !

We need space to display informations we seek, not informations or commands we can have in a popup if WE want to

Lightbulb

Thanks all for the input. I haven't looked at the forum for some time and was surprised by the feedback!

@Phileas
    Interesting, I didn't know about THAT weekly view. In my Palm Treo the weekly view looks more like the one Deja office uses!

More info on clicking on a appointment bar (the bars are also color coded by category)

Some more suggestions for the Deja team after playing around with the calendar app some more:
    Palm compresses the hours when there is a long appointment. Maybe something to consider.
    What is the use of a black bar showing not much information whatsoever? (I do have more details in location and notes, but it is not displayed even so there is plenty of space)

If you do not want to consider "compressing" the view, maybe the black bar can be filled up with other bits of useful information, like the notes or the location! In this way I don't need to activate the appointment to get to the details!
    In fact: I actually would like it to only display the notes. I don't want to enter a subject. I need to see all my notes in one go (Or at least make the entry screen for the subject bigger so I can put in all my details there)

Another feature in Palm I found useful: It also EXPANDS the calendar view when there is more information to display. Again useful so I don't need to go into the details view to get all the details.

Also @ fvi

A solution to the space problem with the buttons required to be in a certain size (after all a finger is not a stylus. (I still prefer my stylus for not smugging/ scratching my screen and accuracy when on site...)) might be a similar one as Android uses already for the notification bar on top (Not sure if this works the same on all Android phones, just an idea):
    The notification area can easily be "expanded" to show more details by sliding the finger top down to expand it.
    Why not have something similar in Deja Office? (just on the bottom)
    A slide with the finger from the bottom up would expand the Deja Office notification area where all the useful buttons could be laid out for easy access. Therefore you have very quick access without requiring the hard buttons to get to the menu. In landscape mode this bar could stay on the short side of the screen, not taking extra viewing space.
    Buttons like "New appointment", "Weekly view" "Agenda view", "category" etc could all go in there.
    On the "deja notification area, you could still show the module name "Deja Office" if required (but in smaller letters. Mimicking the notification bar of the Android on top)
    Ideally this area could be modified by each user by simply ticking boxes in the preferences to activate which buttons to display.
    It would have another benefit, as users with large screen real estate can populate it with more buttons.
    Users with small screen but small fingers could still populate it with as many buttons and just have smaller buttons.
    Users with small screen but large fingers can populate it with less buttons but easier to activate.
    Everybody wins :-)

@ Jason even my (very slow) Australian telco Telstra has finally updated my X10 with Android 2.1.
    I would assume it is not long before all the X10 out there are updated.
    Thanks for listening in on this topic.

Lightbulb

I just tried out the new Deja office. Looks better :-) and displays location THANKS
    But still some problems:

My suggestion:
    This change would allow for much more info displayed. Double as many hours and still look good:
    (excuse my bad cut and paste action on the picture)
    Last edited by marwerno; 02-01-2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: pictures improved

Small screen display issues

2 HTC Tattoo
    No Exit button on a start screen Accounts. Have to go to Menu - Contacts - and then again Menu - Exit.