If you are reading this article, you are in the process of doing one of two things-
- You are either looking to launch a new business or start-up and turn an entrepreneur. Or,
- You have already started a business and are looking to build your online performance.
Either way, you know and recognize the need for a cutting-edge brand website that can help you. A great website can help you attract the right target audiences, improve conversion rates, boost engagement, and ultimately contribute to sales and revenues for your start-up.
With digital platforms and online technologies becoming second nature to consumers, not having a great website will handicap your business growth and potential.
While most of us are aware of the great benefits that a performance-oriented brand website can bring, we simply do not know how to go about the same.
Questions like- should we set up our own design and development team, or, hire an external web development agency often plague the minds of start-up founders.
In this article, we will try our best to address some of these doubts and questions. Specifically, we are going to offer start-ups some excellent tips that can help them create the best online presence. Additionally, we will be focussing on some of the challenges as well.
7 Tips to Help Start-Ups Plan the Best Web Design and Development
If you are a start-up founder or CEO looking to optimize your online presence, we would recommend you to please follow these seven great tips-
1. Shortlist and Hire the Best Web Development Agency
You might think that setting up internal teams is a better way to grow your assets and manage your costs and control. However, you would be surprised to know that hiring an external web development agency is more efficient and productive. You can push them to complete deadlines, opt for iterations, and experience high-end professionalism. Make sure to check out the leading web development agency in florida to help you get started on your brand site.
2. Have a Clear and Comprehensive Plan of Action
Web design and development projects tend to be long-drawn. This is mainly because when the project starts, there is no clear plan of action. Before the developers start coding, ensure that they know and understand the project, what it is all about, check out competitors, assess existing and future technologies, etc. One of the most crucial aspects of any web design and development process is fixing and sticking to deadlines. This helps have a clear vision.
3. Users and Not Designers and Developers Should Like the Website
There is no denying the fact that designers and developers are creative artists. However, part of the problem is that they tend to get too attached and possessive about what they create. This is a major flaw, that can compromise the performance of your start-up website. It is all about your end customers and audiences. They should like the website above everyone else. Try to focus on creating the best UI and UX experience for your potential and existing customers.
4. Stick to Frameworks, Designs, and Code that Works
Start-ups are known for their profound innovation and creative zeal. This is a good thing. However, you need to understand that when it comes to designing and developing websites, it is best to stick to practices, frameworks, design cues, and codes that work. You will always find plenty of avenues for doing something different; which is good. However, you do not have to break the rules, when there isn’t a need to do so. This will allow you to enjoy the best results.
5. Simple Codes Allow for Better Functionality and Flexibility
If you want to create a website that other developers can work on as time progresses, you need to aim for the codes to be as simple and useful as possible. Messy codes mean you will always have a problem integrating other functionalities down the line. Clear lines of codes also mean that it will be easier for you to find and address bugs when they emerge. Simplicity should be reflective in every line of code that your developers are creating for the start-up website.
6. Focus on Device Compatibility and Optimizations for UX and SEO
70% of all Google searches take place on smartphones and tablet devices. This is why start-ups need to pay attention to the fact that their websites are optimized and compatible with different screen sizes, devices, and browsers. If your website looks stunning on Google Chrome but not on Apple’s Safari, you have a major problem. Having compatibility is not only good for improving the UX of your target audiences, but also in helping you win SEO points.
7. Fast Loading Speeds, Security and Technical On-Page Issues are Critical
Having a well-designed website that has the best SEO-optimized content will not serve any purpose if your web pages take 5 seconds to open! You need to work with the web development agency to ensure that your web pages are loading fast. This means going for a good hosting provider. Make sure that you also have an SSL certificate installed for online cybersecurity. Sorting the technical issues during the development phase is what you should be aiming for.
Challenges of Web Design and Development for Start-Ups
Designing and developing high-performance websites that check all the boxes is not easy. This is even more so for start-ups that are always working with limited funds and resources. The following are some of the major challenges of web design and development for start-ups-
- Failing to get a Minimum Viable Product– To be honest, when it comes to designing a website, the sky is the limit. During the development stage, every start-up would feel that a couple of added functionalities will make it better. The truth is that this is a never-ending spiral, which compromises deadlines, project costs, and launch. You need to focus on creating a minimum viable product that you can start with presently.
- Getting SEO Optimized Content– Most of us are still do not take content as seriously as we should. Part of the problem is the dearth of great web content writers that can create content for both search engines as well as real human beings. As a start-up, you need to create excellent content that will help power your SEO efforts, as well as your conversions. The content writers need to be a strong part of the development team.
- Carrying out SEO for the Website– Simply building a website does not mean that your target audiences are going to flock to it. SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a digital marketing strategy that helps your potential target audiences to discover and engage with your website. You need to work with an experienced SEO agency to get results in terms of higher SERPs, better conversions, more sign-ups, and increased visibility.
- Gathering Initial Momentum for the Website– For many start-ups, this is the hardest part. You have spent time, energy, and effort on designing and developing your website and now want to see results. You can get impatient when your SEO metrics or traffic is not showing results. This can take time, but it will happen if you carry on with SEO and SMM strongly. Once it starts moving, you will see the graph pick up well.
- Understanding Additional Costs on the Website– If you are completely unfamiliar with the add-on costs of running a website, you might get shocked. As a start-up, you need to filter in the costs for domain registration, hosting charges, cybersecurity best practices, periodic maintenance packages, and other charges. Make sure that you clarify this right at the very start with your web development agency to get a better idea.
The Importance of a Performance Website for a Start-Up
We are living in a day and age, where consumers are comfortable using the internet for just about anything. Groceries, clothes, tech, pet products, health, cab services, and so on. Any business that wants to be a success story in 2022, needs to acknowledge the fact that it should align its business presence and objectives with consumer habits and choices.
If you are able to run a successful and effective start-up website, you will see your business growing. You will not only be able to establish successful branding for the new business, but you will also see real results in terms of sales, revenues and profits. This will allow you to add new verticals, scale-up opportunities, and take the organization to the next level.
As a start-up founder or CEO, your website should be scalable. This means that as your business grows, it should be able to support growing expectations in terms of functionalities, site traffic, speed, and other parameters. Going forward, you want your start-up website to evolve, rather than opting for a dramatic redesign or redevelopment just after a year.
If you would like us to assist you in any way regarding the design or development of your start-up website, please reach out to us in the comments section below. We would be more than happy to help you find the best web development agency for all your needs and expectations. We wish you all the best in your new endeavor!